Drawing foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dano41

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Hi. in the brood chamber could I put several frames of foundation in and alternate them between brood frames to get them to draw it out I have the foundation over at one side at moment and they are not drawing it?

How strong is the colony?

If they have all the space they need they won't waste energy and food to draw out unnecessary comb until they need it when the colony is expanding with lots of young bees.

problem is that workers cannot keep warm and nurse more brood. If you put foundation between brood frames, part of recent brood will be destroyed in pheriferia. -yes I have done that.

First of all a colony with but 6 frames of brood is NOT a strong one. It is a growing nuc.

If your weather is anything like mine, cool and wet then no they are not going to draw foundation.

You could put one on one side of the brood nest and one on the other and really that is as much as you can do.

If you intersperse them between the brood combs as Finman says you will do serious damage to the colony.

PH

Latest posts

Back