Dr.P Stoffen queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 3 economy Dr P queens that came on 11th June took 5-6 days to arrive if I remember. They came in a non ventilated cardboard envelope and were fine although due to the length of the journey 1 had nearly eaten way through the candy plug. All were added to hives.... no's 10 and 30 are going great guns with great brood patterns, very calm on comb and haven't needed to use smoke on them at all. May take the plunge next year and inspect them without gloves....

No 1 for info was accepted and laying but then disappeared a week after started to lay for no reason they raised a queen from her eggs and new queen is now laying well. Will see how they go.

Having heard what DHL did to KFC, I think it's pretty self explanatory!

If they shipped via DHL next day, you'd probably find they would arrive crushed flat or get tucked away in -25 for a week!

Still can't help thinking it's German arrogance or their antique infrastructure that's at fault?

I don't think that's fair.
DHL did a good job of delivering my queens (as did UPS). Both of them delivered as per their promise. What more can you ask?

Dear Stuart,

. . . . . . . . . . . . (By the way: These are the international rules for all carriers using airfreight)
. . . . . . . . .
Best regards, Jens

? More likely, exaggeration or German excessive regulation! :icon_bs:

i.e.
German rules for all "international" carriers using German Airports?

Perhaps similar to their laws on the sale of Beer or wearing of swim hats, (even for the baldies)!

? More likely, exaggeration or German excessive regulation! :icon_bs:

i.e.
German rules for all "international" carriers using German Airports?

Perhaps similar to their laws on the sale of Beer or wearing of swim hats, (even for the baldies)!

DHL express in the UK also lists them as forbidden

DHL express in the UK also lists them as forbidden

So for now, if you want German Queens you'll need to wait a week or more for them to arrive.

After 1st November it'll be quicker to buy Ausie Queens & ship by boat (so long as the Suez canal stays open?????

So for now, if you want German Queens you'll need to wait a week or more for them to arrive.

After 1st November it'll be quicker to buy Ausie Queens & ship by boat (so long as the Suez canal stays open?????

For now at least, still unanswered is the question of why German post has gone from 2.1 days average to 5-7 days.

I placed an order for four queens back in June and due to my work commitments agreed a despatch date of 22 July. Had an email confirming their despatch date with shipping code last week. Sent Monday, delivered Friday all healthy and well - not even a dead attendant.

What is the cost of a breeder queen from one of these suppliers inc P&P?

Google buckfast Denmark and buckfast zucht you can find out there, you will have full descriptions of queens available

What is the cost of a breeder queen from one of these suppliers inc P&P?

Are you really after a breeder queen, they are upwards of £400+.
Most of us use Island or Station mated queens as our breeder queens, these are still expensive but not as much as the tested breeder queens.

Are you really after a breeder queen, they are upwards of £400+.
Most of us use Island or Station mated queens as our breeder queens, these are still expensive but not as much as the tested breeder queens.

I've always disliked the term "breeder queen". What does it mean?
Do you mean:
1. The mother of the (1a) virgin queen? This is called the 2a queen.
2. The (1b) mother of drones or (4a) grandmother of the group of sister queens used to provide drones at a mating station.
Only queens appear on an ancestry chart as drones are haploid sons of diploid queens - so they don't appear on an ancestry chart.
What I mean is, on a chart that consists ONLY of queens, WHICH queen do you mean? The term "breeder queen" has become ubiquitous, even though it is meaningless.

As for the cost, a tested queen represents a years work for a breeder/tester so it makes sense that they are more expensive than ordinary queens. It is strange that so many people seem to want them as they have neither the knowledge/means to use them in a breeding programme. In any case, you will learn far more about a queens capabilities if you test them yourself than you would by buying a tested queen. A good quality queen with a defined ancestry generally costs about £70/each plus p&p. An open mated F1 costs about £45. However, these are best used as production queens/(1b) drone mothers.

Last edited:
Breeder queens are simply what I call the station/Island mated queens that I use to breed all my F1 open mated stock queens from.
And to answer Marks question about prices; station mated queens are about 1/4 the price of what queen breeders charge for their tested breeder queens, which are usually a couple of years old. ....£75 for a station mated queen?????...bargain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Breeder queens are what I call the station mated queens I use to breed all my F1 open mated stock queens from.
Simple really.
And to answer Marks question about prices station mated queens are about 1/4 the price of what queen breeders charge for their tested breeder queens, which are usually a couple of years old.

Tested queens should always be at least 2 years old. If they are born/mated in 2017, they will be tested in 2018 and a decision made on their suitability to be a 2a queen (dam) early in 2019. 4a queens are usually a year, or so, older.
The correct identifier for the queens you are talking about is 1a. This denotes their position on an ancestry chart but does not indicate the origin of any drones she mated with. You should always receive a breeding card similar to these (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_r0G3LXUAA0uW-?format=jpg&name=4096x4096 ) with such queens as proof of breeding.

Last edited:
Tested queens should always be at least 2 years old.

I just said that.
Never ever seen any queen breeder call them anything other then breeder queens. or selected breeder queens. I'm happy to be proved wrong but if that is what proper queen breeders call them, then it's good enough for me and probably for the rest of us.

Breeder queens are simply what I call the station/Island mated queens that I use to breed all my F1 open mated stock queens from.

I am simply providing the correct nomenclature used by breeders. You are usually keen to see the correct nomenclature used so I'm a bit surprised that you don't wish to use it.
It doesn't prevent you from propagating these queens further but you should always have proof of the lineage - otherwise, it could be anything.

Thank you for all your answers, yes I agree that seems like a bargain given all the work that goes into testing and producing a good quality queen.

I am simply providing the correct nomenclature used by breeders..

Begs the question why all the breeders advertise them as "breeder queens". Care to explain why they do that and not use "the correct nomenclature"??

Latest posts

Back