Dove Tail Joints

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz lightyear

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A good freind of mine (a joiner) is making me some boxes, and considering selling them. He is concerned about the amount of end grain that is exposed on the standard joints and is considering dove tails. Is there any reason why this joint appears not to be used. I hope this makes sense to you chippies out there as i am a bit lacking in this department. Buzz

A Dovetail joint will be fine and look pretty good, the machine cut dovetails dont look as good as hand cut but its a great joint all the same. My home is called Dovetail so i am a bit of a fan.

Do you think the bees will care, ummm not going in there cos i don't like that joint.
sorry couldn't help myself :)

I dont think there is any money to be saved in using a dovetail over a box joint in length of time a box will last.

If there was a saving to be made then all Smith hives would have dovetails ;)

Unless the joint is being made 'with blind sockets' the amount of end grain showing will be the same n'est pas? Half on one board and half on the other?

Good enough is good enough, and dovetails are more a cabinet maker's joint, so Pete's butt joints would be good enough if they were good enough - but aren't.

So adequate strength with adequate stability is all that is needed.

I use neither brass nor stainless steel screws and certainly don't go to the trouble of dowelling (as one member of the forum does). So where do you stop?

Nationals are already criticised for being more complicated than other formats and in my opinion a deeper rebate, to give shape stabiilty and a simple butt-fitted bar at the ends would likely be adequate for most situations.

But, by all means, go ahead, it will not affect my bees and if we were all the same wouldn't life be drab! Get some mahogany in-lay for decoration while you are at it and a little gold lettering might look good!!

Regards, RAB

dove tail , ??

ive got a dovetail hive and its fantastic,so much easier to put together and more sturdy than the unsightly finger joints, less endgrain as the dovetails are blind , bees dont give a hoot or a buzz but i think quality does count wouldnt buy anyother . keep buzzin .

The standard here for pre made Langstroth boxes or kits is dovetails. They tend to be stronger and are easier to square up during assembly.
That being said I could never be bothered to go to the effort of making my own dovetails and instead rabbit the end boards, cut the side boards 3/4" shorter and then glue and ringshank nail them - also use a squaring jig to ensure the angles.

Hi, there is such a joint as a hidden dovetail joint which shows no end grain at all, I think I had to do one in college many moons ago. Remind your Joiner friend of this joint and I'll bet he did on during his apprenticeship. They are quite hard to do tho'.

Simon

Hi, there is such a joint as a hidden dovetail joint which shows no end grain at all, I think I had to do one in college many moons ago. Remind your Joiner friend of this joint and I'll bet he did on during his apprenticeship. They are quite hard to do tho'.

Simon

This is very true and it looks just like a mitred corner when finished.

Yes thats right just mitre it and call it a blind Dovetail joint just have a bit of explaining to do when it falls apart

Simon

Get one of these bad boys:

http://www.leighjigs.com/d4.php

...and if you can hold a router, you can knock out perfect dovetails, blind or otherwise.

Get one of these bad boys:

http://www.leighjigs.com/d4.php

...and if you can hold a router, you can knock out perfect dovetails, blind or otherwise.

And of course the Lee Jig is perfect for finger joints.If you use cedar you dont have to bother about end grain as the timber is durable.I'vv got sme boxes more than 40 years old and apart from the colour are as good as new

quick cheap build

Hi all, maybe this will help for some,I build them with 3/4" sterling board, butt jointed screwed and glued. 10mm sterlin for the roof, then paint them with resin bulked up with talcum powder and a dolop of green pigment (or what ever colour takes your fancy) I like the green it kind of blends in, the resin and talc seals everything and leaves a plastickie looking finnish, three complete hives cost me about eighty quid with bits left over, to throw in with the peats to keep me warm,,,cheers,,kenny

Latest posts

Back