Double Swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wassup

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
A strange thing happened to me today:

I've been abroad for a short while and unable to tend to my bees (single colony). I was half expecting them to swarm, because they have been expanding rapidly during Mar/Apr and when I last had the chance to look at them there was some evidence of queen cups. Today when I got back, I found a swarm in a hedge v close to the hive. As I was collecting it, another swarm arose into the air almost from the same place and flew away (to I know not where).

What was going on? Surely a colony doesn't swarm twice in one day (or even two, assuming the swarm I was collecting had been there perhaps since the afternoon before)?

I collected and hived the swarm in the hedge - so am not too disappointed.

Would appear at a first guess that you have had at least 3 swarms leave the hive, unless your queen was clipped Prime a week ago, and at least 2 casts recently.

Tell us more of what you find in your hive. Probably a lot of queen cells, no open brood and not very many bees, possibly very little closed brood either. Sort the clues and put the jigaw together for the time-line.

RAB

I think you're probably right. One prime swarm with the old queen which I missed as I was abroad and then, on the day I returned, 2 casts. I caught one and it is now successfully hived. But neither it, nor the original colony, now have any BIAS.....so I think they are both queenless 14 days after the swarm was caught. Yikes - what to do now? I am planning to requeen both this coming weekend. Any advice?

they are both queenless 14 days after the swarm was caught. Yikes - what to do now?

Who says? Why? Be patient, you are 90%+ likely to be wrong.

Any advice?

Yes. Remove the incumbent queens before attempting your plan.

RAB

Do some new beekeepers not realize that new queens have to fly to mate, or do they think that queens just start to lay fertilized eggs in the same way that the Virgin Mary was impregnated by the Holy Ghost?

Latest posts

Back