Double shallow instead of single brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Looking through two shallow boxes maybe a bit of a pain, but as no spare BB's thought I might give it a try. Anyone tried this (I have spare 'super' frames from previously brood & a half hives.)
Gives more space than a national BB and easier lifting.

Yes it will work ... bees will adapt to just about any box you give them but don't be suprised if they build comb between the two boxes ... alternatively - just put the two shallows together and fit standard frames in there - at least then you are not back to mixing brood and shallow frames ... there will be a bit of space at the bottom of the frames and they may extend the comb downwards but it's not the end of the world if it it happens. Needs must when the devil drives ...

Inadvertently!
I had left two supers on a hive and the queen and bees moved up.
They still have the brood box below, so I am hoping that they will move back down later!
They seem happy enough!

Most of mine are in a right mess at the moment. It really doesn't matter what box you use. What they put in it makes a difference to what you call it. Shallow and deep brood or shallow and deep super. I have them alternating on one hive due to a shallow being left on over winter and then a combination later. It goes deep shallow deep QE shallow. I will get them sorted as the year progresses!

Think Ponts Honey in Lincolnshire run some of theirs on one sized shallow boxes. I remember reading about it somewhere and looks that way in their web site.

Attachments

• spring-feeding.png
    spring-feeding.png
    564.6 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts

Back