Double nuc over a brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobbydaler

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I’m thinking of building some 5 frame nuc boxes 230mm x 460mm then they could be stacked over a brood box over winter, two side by side. Maybe 4 or 6 over a brood. So I could have multiple colonies overwintering sharing heat.
I’ve seen pictures of it but they all seem to be in America. Does anyone do it in the uk? Am I just over thinking things?3BCB58CB-7318-45D4-8ABC-F4BCD6F25988.jpeg

I use some for the convenience they fit under a normal roof and stack on a split box anyway as nuc extensions. My spare boxes are stacked separately, I wouldn't put them over a hive.

I’m thinking of building some 5 frame nuc boxes 230mm x 460mm then they could be stacked over a brood box over winter, two side by side. Maybe 4 or 6 over a brood. So I could have multiple colonies overwintering sharing heat.
I’ve seen pictures of it but they all seem to be in America. Does anyone do it in the uk? Am I just over thinking things?View attachment 24124

They use these a lot in the US, as you say, to keep nucs warm over winter. But in the UK we have poly nucs so, why bother ....... :)

I use some for the convenience they fit under a normal roof and stack on a split box anyway as nuc extensions. My spare boxes are stacked separately, I wouldn't put them over a hive.
Any reason why?
They use these a lot in the US, as you say, to keep nucs warm over winter. But in the UK we have poly nucs so, why bother ....... :)
im too tight to buy a load of poly nucs! 1 sheet of ply could make 12+ nucs so with a talc roof for each (although I’m hoping to stack them so won’t need a roof for each hopefully) and a mesh etc , makes each nuc under £10. True Yorkshireman 😂🐝

I do exactly this. I build all my nucs as 5 frame 230 wide so they fit as a pair under a standard roof. I have the colonies facing different directions. The ones in the pictures have under floor entrances and side entrances as well but I decided that was not a good idea. 😊

IMG_839227.jpg

Any reason why?

im too tight to buy a load of poly nucs! 1 sheet of ply could make 12+ nucs so with a talc roof for each (although I’m hoping to stack them so won’t need a roof for each hopefully) and a mesh etc , makes each nuc under £10. True Yorkshireman 😂🐝
You bloody Yorkshire men, don't just squeek when you walk.

Do you have any plans measurements for the nucs you make I've got some marine ply.
Or more to the point does any one?

Which or both? And why? What problems did you find?
The first ones I made had an aluminium divider to make it possible to have a 2 frame and 3 frame nucs but it was a pain to work with so I have abandoned it. The 3 frame had a side entrance and the 2 frame an underfloor front entrance.

I do exactly this. I build all my nucs as 5 frame 230 wide so they fit as a pair under a standard roof. I have the colonies facing different directions. The ones in the pictures have under floor entrances and side entrances as well but I decided that was not a good idea. 😊

View attachment 24128
I run 15 or so Rose hives nucs with our Cornish Amm using 30 omf double nucs, each has an eke crownboard with feeder hole atop to take fondant, master single hive below on solid floor... well fed before winter!
Nucs are 5 frame with a dummy board and as Spring build up starts additional nuc box of 5 frames is added.
Rose hive nucs have a fixed entrance... leave all facing same direction... never a problem
The entrance to the upper eke is removed with the OMF before extending with 4 csk stainless screws

I’ve got plenty of ply Nucs that will sit as a pair or even stack, to be honest I find them a pain in comparison to a poly nuc. In a stack there difficult to feed and judge weight and that’s important with Nucs during the winter, as many will require a top up of fondant. When feeding during the season an eke or empty super is also required to take the buckets. 5 frames do winter well in wood in my area at least. But that extra frame and a decent weather tight box have plenty of benefits.

We use a lot of split boxes, full size and mating nucs but don't stack colonies through the winter, as Ian123 says, it adds an element of work which just isn't necessary.
ATTACH=full]24133[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_20200805_091951.jpg
    IMG_20200805_091951.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
I did for a while make some double boxes up from single broods with a 6 frame and a 5 and they worked very well, some suggest they get issues with a split box and queen/virgins in each side. I’ve never had an issue as long as they are correctly made and there’s no contact between the 2.

I did for a while make some double boxes up from single broods with a 6 frame and a 5 and they worked very well, some suggest they get issues with a split box and queen/virgins in each side. I’ve never had an issue as long as they are correctly made and there’s no contact between the 2.
One way of utilising some older boxes.

Back