Double hive stand - about 1hrs work

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerford

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
National
Seeing the DHS built earlier this week by Hawklord reminded me I needed to get another one made, and seeing as I had some spare tanalised timber hanging about, I saved the best of two lengths to make the frame.
Overall dimensions are approx 63" long by 18" wide by 18" high. I used galvanised ring shank nails as I didn't have time to go to the Ironmonger for bolts (although the legs are Very thick and you'll see how I cut them away to support the frame)
Incidentally, the legs were part of a Pallet of the 1m lengths I got at a farm auction for £20 - over 80 of them (they were meant to be used as car park posts I think - ideal for hive stand legs !)

The images can be viewed via this link to my facebook account ...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=57209&id=1409993099&l=ba1b3b1c28

regards

S

Last edited:
Very substantial stand I bet it could withstand a direct hit

26764_1394222901499_1409993099_1131043_6500571_n.jpg

there you go :)

I like the idea of the winter strap through the frame.

Veg, BEWARE!

That hive stand is just not strong enough for a nucleus hive! Especially those middle cross members!

Both of you: talk about 'brick bog' buildings!

Neither of them would be any good for me unless I got a roof rack for my Pogo 205!

Regards, RAB

lol I would rather them be over done than have them end up on the floor. :cheers2:

Last edited:
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Simple construction, tuff (remember the boots?), cheep (smile for the birdie) and all that. Last a looong time. Deff the way to go for a double stand. They are about fifty five quid from the Park lot (and prolly a lot less long lived).

I did note that Somerford was real cheep and missed off those middle legs!

Congrats to all of you. You have amply demonstrated how it can be done perfectly adequately for a fraction of the commercial cost.

Regards, RAB

lol - I figured that the dimensions of the timber would suffice this time - 2x3" and 4"square legs

obviously I will be shown up when the two hives destined for the stand make it collapse under the sheer tonnage of honey they will collect this season !

regards

S

As someone with all the DIY skills of a slug, that looks like my kind of stand!

Cazza.

I use a pavement slab with a concrete block at each end, stick the hive on top of the blocks with a nice air gap under the hive.

Admin
I have a site that can some strong winds and use the same type of strap, trouble is the webbing wont stand the U.V and they just suddenly break, anyone had the same problem or more usefull anyone found straps that put up with prolonged exposure to the weather.
kev

For securing loads wear sleeves are used over lorry straps whenever pulled over a sharp or abrasive corner. Same here, tubes of suitable material will protect the strap from the UV. Flat water hose or strips of material folded and stapled together is often adequate. May not look trendy, but effective.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back