Double glazed panels available for solar wax melter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Gumbers 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Having dissmantled a conservatory at work today, I have a number of double glazed panels available if anyone is considering building a large solar wax melter or possibly a garden cold frame? (A bit heavy for a hinged lid though maybe) There are various sizes, the squarish (?) ones ranging from 910x920 to 910x1170, along with a few narrow ones as per attached picture. Collection would be from either GU24 or GU3 area if anyone would like any before they hit the skip..

Attachments

Wilco 

Village idiot
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-ish
Having dissmantled a conservatory at work today, I have a number of double glazed panels available if anyone is considering building a large solar wax melter or possibly a garden cold frame? (A bit heavy for a hinged lid though maybe) There are various sizes, the squarish (?) ones ranging from 910x920 to 910x1170, along with a few narrow ones as per attached picture. Collection would be from either GU24 or GU3 area if anyone would like any before they hit the skip..
It looks like you're rather close to me so it feels rude not to take you up on that... Might I take a look?

cwinte 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Can I suggest another use? I put suitable panels around 3 sides of my hives over winter so they get warming from the sun - their own api-conservatories. It also keeps the rain off and I believe reduces their energy budget for keeping warm and dry significantly while encouraging air circulation.

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
I made my solar smelter using two panes of clear plastic sheet, separated by wood and held together with aluminium tape.

enrico 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I find single pane works better and doesn't crack! Melted 10 frames down at the weekend.

Newbeeneil 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
30 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
I made my solar smelter using two panes of clear plastic sheet, separated by wood and held together with aluminium tape.
SOLAR SMELTER! Bloody hell that must get hot!!!!!!!!!

Dodge 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Don't forget to get the glass the correct side. I.e. the inward house side inside the wax melter as modern double glazing is designed it trap the heat in by reflecting the heat.

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I think you have answered why my solar melter did not work. Full of enthusiasm I made up one using my dismantled conservatory panels and it refused to melt down my old combs. I would in hindsight have used single panes. Made up a steam melter instead.

B33K33P3R 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I have been recycling old aluminium printing plates as hive rooves. I have a couple of large plates for the creation of a solar wax extractor. Does anyone have a tried and tested design/plan for a wooden framed parabolic reflector style extractor?

B33K33P3R

Wilco 

Village idiot
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-ish
I have been recycling old aluminium printing plates as hive rooves. I have a couple of large plates for the creation of a solar wax extractor. Does anyone have a tried and tested design/plan for a wooden framed parabolic reflector style extractor?

B33K33P3R
Nice.

No but you could look at solar cookers? You may be overthinking this though.

B33K33P3R 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Nice.

No but you could look at solar cookers? You may be overthinking this though.
I can knock something together but would rather avoid any pitfalls. I am definitely overthinking it! Just how I am.

I have seen some on youtube. I will follow up on there.

B33K33P3R.

Olivia9801 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I made my lid to suit the double glazed unit I had and then built the underneath box to fit the lid.
I then tightly lined the inside with Celotex which is great as it has that foil lining. Finally painted it matt black to help it absorbed heat rather than reflect it. Works brilliant on a sunny day.