Double brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deemann1

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+ nucs
This year iv tried double brood on some colonies 1 colony in particular has 19 frames of brood what do you guys that run double brood do in this situation demaree 1 of the boxes and give back another under qx ,or steal out some brood, currently has 3 supers on will need more

This year iv tried double brood on some colonies 1 colony in particular has 19 frames of brood what do you guys that run double brood do in this situation demaree 1 of the boxes and give back another under qx ,or steal out some brood, currently has 3 supers on will need more
-
I use double Langstroth brood.
If you've a young queen in there, just keep adding supers and let them fill them. If she's "getting on", you may need to watch for swarming preparations.
I don't know where this idea of splitting strong colonies comes from. The strong ones will produce loads of honey if you let them (and you have bees that are selected not to swarm)

-
I use double Langstroth brood.
If you've a young queen in there, just keep adding supers and let them fill them. If she's "getting on", you may need to watch for swarming preparations.
I don't know where this idea of splitting strong colonies comes from. The strong ones will produce loads of honey if you let them (and you have bees that are selected not to swarm)
Would you recommend a super under qx to give herself more room to lay

Would you recommend a super under qx to give herself more room to lay

I'm not in Ireland but a double Langstroth gives enough comb area for even the most prolific queens here in Bedfordshire. The problem is that the nectar can come in so fast that they plug up the brood area, leaving the queen little space to lay. You have to keep on top of that if you can. I use all deeps so shallows (supers) aren't a part of my thinking - she either needs space (and gets a deep) or she has enough space and I leave things as they are.

Depends how much fiddling you want to do; depends if the main flow is about to start; depends if you want to weaken it to make nucs or whatnot, but really, why weaken it at a time of year that strength is most needed to make use of the flow?

Triple brood is an option: put the third on top if the flow is starting or in-between if you want them to expand the nest. Into the middle of the new box you could put a few frames of open brood to get them in there.

Either way, stick a couple of supers on above the QX to give those emerging bees somewhere to go.

Don't forget that when the brood is ripe it is emerging as quickly as the queen is laying so there comes a point when an equilibrium is reached! I have never seen that exceed a double brood
E

Don't forget that when the brood is ripe it is emerging as quickly as the queen is laying so there comes a point when an equilibrium is reached! I have never seen that exceed a double brood
E
:iagree: observing that in a double brood at the castle now although she is on 18 frames there is always a few frames with emerging brood not being instantly filled with eggs. so if anything, the queen is struggling to catch up with the rapidly vacated cells.

a super under qx

By definition a brood box is no longer a super. So, no. Ask again if a shallow box could be added on top of the broods.🙂

I would answer: Put it under the broods as it's likely not needed.

I expect those frames are not completely laid up and there are still 4 more to go? 100,000 brooded cells is unlikely. Think about her lay-rate for that - 4000/day, every day.

Latest posts

Back