Double brood ??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBY-3652

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone i have got a colonie on double brood boxes. Laying like the clappers, i want to use this colonie for honey yeild. Do i put a super on top of both brood boxes? Or split the boxes and put a super in between with the brood on top of the super??? How do other people do it ??

On top of QE on top of double brood. Can't see how you could put it between!! Or why, you don't want brood in the honey side of the hive.....or am I missing something

Super on top. Queen excluder will be needed until the first super is filled.

Rearrange the two broods to collect the majority of the brood on the bottom, bounded by good pollen frames at the outer edges. If there are less than 9 frames of brood, add good empty comb between the edge of the brood and the pollen frames. If there are more than 9, group 2-3 good frames of open brood in the middle of the upper box, surrounded by any remaining laying space. Move all stores frames upwards except for the two bounding pollen frames.

Normal procedure is to put super(s) on top and both brood boxes at the bottom.

There are various manouevres that involve putting supers in between two brood boxes with the queen confined to the bottom brood box, either as part of swarm control or queen rearing - but you shouldn't do it unless you have a clear idea of what you're trying to achieve.

In douple brood hive queen tend to fill the upper box with brood and the lower box often half full.
If queen is not good, one brood is enough.

Yes, allways honey boxes are over brood. You add then as much as colony grows.
2 brood + 4 supers is normal and 2+6 is good.

Keep brood area compact. Do not split it.

When you add new super boxes, allways add them between old and brood.
When you extract the topmost, return it over the brood box.

When the hive makes one capped box honey, it needs two other boxes where it store nectar to rippen. when nectar's sugar content is high enough, bees move it up and cap the cells.

Idea is to make bees feel so that they have empty hive and feel so that they are not ready to swarm. If hive is too tight, they swarm. So they reach the most important thing in their life: propagation!

Last edited:
Normal procedure is to put super(s) on top and both brood boxes at the bottom.

There are various manouevres that involve putting supers in between two brood boxes with the queen confined to the bottom brood box, either as part of swarm control or queen rearing - but you shouldn't do it unless you have a clear idea of what you're trying to achieve.

i have never met system that brood are is splittd with empty box.
If somebody does so, he is mad. What is the idea?

UK folks think that douple brood is something very strange or holy thing.
I give to hives 3 brood and I do not use excluder.
If i give only 2 brood, they use medium super as brood box. Yes they need 3 boxes.

Most of our professionals use one brood box. Some uses 3 mediums.

What about the Demaree system where queen in bottom BC , young brood in top BC with supers in between. Works for me and I haven't been certified yet!

Using your three box system finman do you ever get brood in the super, why doesn't the queen prefer to lay in the top box's as in the wild,
Just wondered
E

Using your three box system finman do you ever get brood in the super, why doesn't the queen prefer to lay in the top box's as in the wild,
Just wondered
E

i do not know what they do in wild.

First the colony uses those 3 langstroth boxes as brood room, but then colony grows, and I add then supers, bees do not start to use honey boxes as brood.

It was once very hot year and I kept lots of ventilation. Queen moved to the top most honey box and cleaned there brood area.

Bees' instinct is to handle honey in top most combs and brood goes down when upper parts are full of honey =winter stores.

"What about the Demaree system where queen in bottom BC , young brood in top BC with supers in between. Works for me and I haven't been certified yet!"

but that is a two box queen right queen rearing/AS type set-up.

the supers are actually needed to make the bees in top box start queen rearing.

splitting the boxes, as OP describes, w/o QE between will result in brood in middle supers. with QE between will result in queen cells in Q- box.

Original question: Toby has douple brood hive and he wants to make honey with it.

Answer is that let the hive grow and add new boxes according the expansion.- as in every other hive, one brood, one and half and trible.
Question is only where you put the excluder and in what time of summer.

I cannot see any idea to conect all kind of special Demaree or nothing else tricks to question. - keep it simple because it is simple.

To get honey the hive should have at least 4 boxes. Build up takes time at least 1.5 month from starting point.

Last edited:
Good question i put a full lang brood on top of another one with new frames and wax but only to get rid old black comb but after reading toby questions and answers its seems a good idea. it has 1 full super on top whitch i let them over winter on shall i put new super on top of old or under it ?is ther any case of having to mutch room?

still full of honey

I agree
I have removed four full brood frames of stores. They are full of thymolised syrup. I know they had plenty of Ivy last year which has been eaten in preference. So much for some thoughts on being unable to use crystallised stores.

do you freez the syrup or throw awaay

I agree
I have removed four full brood frames of stores. They are full of thymolised syrup. I know they had plenty of Ivy last year which has been eaten in preference. So much for some thoughts on being unable to use crystallised stores.

so you have there perhaps 6 kg thymolized sugar and value is 6 pounds?

If you want to use those combs, keep frames soaked into 40 C water. Syrup dilutes off from combs.

Then shake the liquid off.

I think that you need combs more in hives than in freezer.

Back