double brood handling before winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahtlinurk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi,

question:
What to do with double brood in autumn ? do i have to force all of them in one stage to one box it means queen down and QX between? momentary setting for this particular hive is two brood boxes and three supers.No QX. There is lots of eggs/larvae in both BB's . should i get the older brood and honey up and youngsters downstairs? what's the discipline?

Thanks,
Lauri

Hi,

question:
What to do with double brood in autumn ? do i have to force all of them in one stage to one box it means queen down and QX between? momentary setting for this particular hive is two brood boxes and three supers.No QX. There is lots of eggs/larvae in both BB's . should i get the older brood and honey up and youngsters downstairs? what's the discipline?

Thanks,
Lauri

I would let the bees sort it out for them selves and leave both brood boxes on with out QX.

Now it is midsummer. Take care that colony has enough supers. Three supers sounds too few if 2 boxes are full of brood.

when yield ceases in september, arrange brood frames down and give empty combs. Lift honey combs over excluder and brood combs which are half honey.

English flows are pretty much over Finman for me.

PH

Last edited:
English flows are pretty much over Finman for me.

PH

Its not even mid July PH, we dont have any sun flowers out yet :-

The plants that contribute to this late summer honey flow include:
o Purple loosestrife
o Mint
o Golden Rod
o Helenium (sneezeweed)
o White clover (continues particularly if it’s been cut down on
o Sedum (ice plant) end of month
o Sunflowers (requires high temperature for nectar to flow)
o Russian vine / mile a minute
o Polygonium / knotweeds
o Himalayan Balsam (bees dusted with white pollen down their
o Single dahlias – mostly pollen only
o Early Michaelmas daisies
o Flea bane – mostly pollen only
o Bell heather
o Ling heather – thixotropic honey (jelly like)
o Honey dew (from aphids on various plants) – dark honey

Jez

I expect an August bloom :)

In september finnish hives are in winter position.

In finland yield season is over 10.8. August. Of course everyone shoud know his local flowering and of course in england everything is so special.

but however somewere between christmas and august check the queen and brood area that they are ok and queen has space lay winter bees.

Ph remembers every time to teach me that england is not same as finland. Hallelujah to that!

Last edited:
Its not even mid July PH, we dont have any sun flowers out yet :-

The plants that contribute to this late summer honey flow include:
o Purple loosestrife
o Mint
o Golden Rod
o Helenium (sneezeweed)
o White clover (continues particularly if it’s been cut down on
o Sedum (ice plant) end of month
o Sunflowers (requires high temperature for nectar to flow)
o Russian vine / mile a minute
o Polygonium / knotweeds
o Himalayan Balsam (bees dusted with white pollen down their
o Single dahlias – mostly pollen only
o Early Michaelmas daisies
o Flea bane – mostly pollen only
o Bell heather
o Ling heather – thixotropic honey (jelly like)
o Honey dew (from aphids on various plants) – dark honey

Jez

You could add Rosebay Willowherb to that list as well. It is flowereing at the moment and continues into August

Dinna you worry Finski I winna ever forget to remind you laddie. ;)

PH

i added one super each to my new hives a few weeks ago but so far they hasn't moved a finger to draw the comb. i believe the main flow is over and it is time start getting supers off and feeders on? Why i am asking i that this is my first beek year in England and i can't guess when something is going to happen.

at the same time don't want to end up with August/September swarm hanging in the bush.. so double brooders some advice please:hat:

Lauri

My advice if you live in Abingdon is dont feed to early!!!
We may get an Ivy flow yet and although the queen will be starting to lay less eggs she still needs room for winter bee brood.

Latest posts

Back