Double Brood Boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

understanding_bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I have recently become a beekeeper, and am the owner of two hives, from two different sources. Each of these colonies is in Langstroth 10-frame deep hive boxes.

For several reasons, I wish to use 8-frame medium hive boxes as standard equipment in my apiary. I want to use this size of hive box because it is much lighter in weight than a 10-frame deep box. When I was going through my training I had the thought that deep brood boxes, and medium size supers were a practical approach. However that system requires the use of two different sizes of honey frames (deeps, and mediums), and does not allow for switching frames between the two sizes of hive box.

I want to have a brood chamber which consists of two medium boxes, because there are times when it can be advantageous to switch the position of these two boxes. The honey supers would be placed above them.
Having described the hive layout, I am seeking advice on the best way to manipulate the hives so that all of the brood and stores will gradually be only in medium size frames (and the deep frames “pensioned off”).

I currently have one (nucleus) hive living in deep frames, which are held in two medium boxes. This means that there is a lot of empty space under the frames at the moment, because the two medium boxes are higher than a deep box.

I have been thinking about an approach in which two medium frames could be installed (one above the other) and a deep frame hanging (in the top box) immediately alongside of it. I am wondering whether this interleaving of deep frames, and pairs of medium frames, is a workable approach. If this is a good idea, what method can be used to gradually remove the deep frames?

If your already on deeps put all the brood into s single deep box and simply put your 8 frame medium box on top and let the bees go up. You need a converter board simply made from ply cut to maximum external dimensions of the bigger box with a hole cut to internal dimensions of the smaller. Once the queens gone up slide a cheap plastic or thin queen excluder between the bottom box and board you get less gaps for rain to get in.

As Ian123.
Using your approach with 2 medium boxes is workable, but when it comes to hive inspections you cannot split the 2 mediums due to the deep frames extending below the medium box and then above if you did remove the upper medium box. You could also end up with bridging comb. If you have the deep nuc box your bees came in then the deep frames could be transferred to it, while you are manipulating the hive. Also the deep frames would have to be moved to the side walls of the hive, when the brood has emerged, you can either replace with medium frames and foundation. Or remove the bees clinging to the frame and use a hacksaw to cut the sidebars to size and add the bottom bar and reuse the valuable frame.

I have recently become a beekeeper, and am the owner of two hives, from two different sources. Each of these colonies is in Langstroth 10-frame deep hive boxes.

For several reasons, I wish to use 8-frame medium hive boxes as standard equipment in my apiary. I want to use this size of hive box because it is much lighter in weight than a 10-frame deep box. When I was going through my training I had the thought that deep brood boxes, and medium size supers were a practical approach. However that system requires the use of two different sizes of honey frames (deeps, and mediums), and does not allow for switching frames between the two sizes of hive box.

I want to have a brood chamber which consists of two medium boxes, because there are times when it can be advantageous to switch the position of these two boxes. The honey supers would be placed above them.
Having described the hive layout, I am seeking advice on the best way to manipulate the hives so that all of the brood and stores will gradually be only in medium size frames (and the deep frames “pensioned off”).

I currently have one (nucleus) hive living in deep frames, which are held in two medium boxes. This means that there is a lot of empty space under the frames at the moment, because the two medium boxes are higher than a deep box.

I have been thinking about an approach in which two medium frames could be installed (one above the other) and a deep frame hanging (in the top box) immediately alongside of it. I am wondering whether this interleaving of deep frames, and pairs of medium frames, is a workable approach. If this is a good idea, what method can be used to gradually remove the deep frames?
It might be interesting for you to have a look at the Rose Hive method. It uses same size boxes for both brood and super.

That’s what he’s doing using Lang medium boxes

Yes would not really suggest taking some knocked together Pom hive over there:sos: I often just use broods supers being reserved for cut comb

Latest posts

Back