Double brood advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am asking for advice surrounding an addition of an extra broodbox for laying space.
My colonies are currently on OSR and supered and I am vigilant for them to swarm so just want to keep them happy and obviously maximise honey crop.

Will it work to put a new undrawn broodbox underneath for them to expand into?

Any other opinions or advice welcome

I just want to prevent them from storing nectar in the broodboxes instead of the supers and its my first year having great strong colonies and using double brood.

I decided to run double brood this year, and so far so good - loads of bees building up really well.

I put any foundation frames (undrawn) above the bottom box to encourage quick build up (warm upstairs) and they have drawn it out in no time at all, queen busy is both boxes.

Should be easier to find swarm cells (bottom of top box) and have the flexibility to manipulate precautionary or reactively, but there's no sign of swarming just yet.

PS - my double boxes have no supers yet - will add when stores could become prohibitive to laying space. I think the key is to keep it simple and let the bees tell you what's required.

Im sure an experienced beek will be able to add more

add a brood box underneath the current one and they will expand downwards into it but mind, if you do not give them plenty of supered room on top they will store honey at the top of the topmost brood box

You can do it either way but I normally put the new box on top, with a few frames from the bottom box to help them up.

Or if you can find the queen, why not simply Demaree them? You should end up with two brood boxes and it helps with swarm control.

You can do it either way but I normally put the new box on top, with a few frames from the bottom box to help them up.

Or if you can find the queen, why not simply Demaree them? You should end up with two brood boxes and it helps with swarm control.

To expand second frood box it is better to put nex box under. In cold weather colony cannot keep the hive warm, and bees will kill lots of brood in coldest part.

Demaree to find a queen.... that is impossible advice.

Thank you all very much for the replies. It helps me a lot. I refrain from posting as some ppl get all technical to show their superiority- like chickens sorting the hierarchy - but this post went well.
Thanks again everyone

To expand second frood box it is better to put nex box under. In cold weather colony cannot keep the hive warm, and bees will kill lots of brood in coldest part.

Demaree to find a queen.... that is impossible advice.
Read again.

Read again.

"Or if you can find the queen, why not simply Demaree them? You should end up with two brood boxes and it helps with swarm control."

Yes, but after reading carefully it is not better.

If you Demaree a 2-brood hive in chilly weather, like you have now, day temps under 15C, you surely spoil build up.

It is important that brood area is compact, and not even splitted with one foundation. Now you are going to split it with excluder.

I have nursed 2-3 brood hives whole my life, and I know what happens in the hive in these weathers. Build up will ruined.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for the replies. It helps me a lot. I refrain from posting as some ppl get all technical to show their superiority- like chickens sorting the hierarchy - but this post went well.
Thanks again everyone
:cool:;):)

Always keep posting, never mind the chickens.

Last edited:
Hahaha, my words were hardly cold and then it went... Seems like a marriage on here; you learn to love the hate!

Latest posts

Back