double bb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goonerwin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
am using national double brood boxes for the first time, and her Ladyship is beginning to slow down on laying and i intend to overwinter on just one brood box, what is the best was to reduce the two boxes into one, will they do it naturally or do i need to do it.
thanks

If not enough room to move all brood to the lower box now, make sure she is trapped in the it with a QE, then within a few weeks all the brood in the top box will have hatched

Faster way is to move both BB's to one side and put a new one on the stand. Go though both boxes and move any frame with brood into the new box- get queen in as well.
Hopefully all frames with brood will fit into new box. Any frames left over can be used to boost your nucs etc.
Remaining frames of stores can be placed in a single BB and I personally feed all this back to the bees above a crown board and empty super.
Alec

I am also on double brood - what are the benefits of reducing down to on BB overwinter and does it depend how strong the colony is whether it will need more than 1 bb of stores to get thru winter.

Brood and super

I have a brood and a half from a cast earlier in the year and was also wodering about closing down to just a B. The super has 7 frames of stores and 1 more in the process of comb being drawn. The question I have is; Is it better to spin off the stores in the super and feed it back into the brood, or leave the super in place over winter? A QE is not fitted.

Brood and super

I have a brood and a half from a cast earlier in the year and was also wondering about closing down to just a B. The super has 7 frames of stores and 1 more in the process of comb being drawn. The question I have is; Is it better to spin off the stores in the super and feed it back into the brood, or leave the super in place over winter? A QE is not fitted.

Latest posts

Back