Dont tell the neighbours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

666bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 swarms, 1 14x12 nuc, national nuc
Had my bees about a month now very quite girls no need to smoke can mow the lawn no problems. All neighbours fine except one, apparently being attacked everytime they are out in the garden I dont think so!!!!
Sister inlaw petrified of bees carn't believe how quite they are. I wouldn't mind if it was true but you know they are making it up. Got to complain about something. Good job I have another site for them. But not moving them just yet. Should never have informed them.

:boxing_smiley:

Had my bees about a month now very quite girls no need to smoke can mow the lawn no problems. All neighbours fine except one, apparently being attacked everytime they are out in the garden I dont think so!!!!
Sister inlaw petrified of bees carn't believe how quite they are. I wouldn't mind if it was true but you know they are making it up. Got to complain about something. Good job I have another site for them. But not moving them just yet. Should never have informed them.

:boxing_smiley:

had the same on an allotment site earlier this year, i was asked to put bees on, but before i put hives on someone petitioned the commitee that no bees should be allowed

ok, committee very helpfull, so no problem , i was allowed bees...but it is early May and my Bees are not in swarm mode....so i place an empty ( white WBC style roof) national on the plot and a stack of supers to see the re action of other plot holders.....within two week, two people had been stung by my bees....I pointed out the hive was EMPTY..one of the complaint came from my doctor

but the committee then impose a long list of does and don't which included...no manipulation on weekends or bank holidays, 6ft high fence around the whole plot not just infront of hives to drive them up, no sale of honey, 3 hives in total on the large 350 plot allotment and only one hive per plot holder, first aid kit to be next to beehives ( ? what did they want in it) and must remove hives within 28 days if they swarm ( at any time), no stacking of spare equipmnet on plot,

ERRRR, well do you think i put bees on there, NO

Last edited:
Have a meeting with them tomorrow morning, should be interesting to see all the sting marks????????????????

A woman from my association had an empty hive on her allotment and had two complaints about being stung of her bees. I think people just like some one to complain at. Let us no how the meeting goes

I can't believe people who take time to tend an allotment plot are complaining about bees? Surely they must know about the increase in yield when bees are kept nearby? Lol at MM, good experiment putting empty hives out.....people will moan about anything! As a bee phobic ( ex ;) ) I would have been nervous about bees being kept nearby, but my garden is full of bees, and no-one keep bees anywhere near my house. You get bees, wasps and other buzzers whether there is a hive nearby or not.

I realise we are so lucky to have the support of the allotment organisation. We are the second plot holders to put bees on there. The bloke with the plot next to the project complained a bit about the bees, but the way the land lies, his plot is sunken and with the fence of the enclosure, it makes the bees fly about 15 ft above his plot. I watched them thje other day and they are just missioned up and aren't bothered about the plants nearby....they are off to the river I think :)

Funny thing was, he didn't even realise the bees were in place until 4 days after, and then only because someone told him lol.

Hope the meeting goes well. Good luck.

It would be really good to see the reaction of some allotment committees that effectively forbid bees on the allotments, if a couple of adjacent properties were to become blatant apiaries. Would the complainants attempt to control the actions of those private landowners I wonder?

I think that sometimes people get carried away with their own importance. Funny really, but very unfair on the poor beek/allotment holder that is denied the privilege of being allowed to keep bees for the mutual benefit of themselves and those around them.

I put an empty hive on my allotment earlier today. Taking bets for how long it will be before someone says "you can't have that here".
There is nothing in the allotment society rules that forbids it.

Ask the complainers to identify the bee or insect that did it and if he/she/indeterminate can point it out and its one of yours tell them you will ban the bee from the hive :)

Ask the complainers to identify the bee or insect that did it and if he/she/indeterminate can point it out and its one of yours tell them you will ban the bee from the hive :)

:D

:cheers2:

After waiting in all morning the neighbour never showed. The wife or bees must have scared her off. Not what I really wanted. Rather show her the bees and try and alay her fears.

After waiting in all morning the neighbour never showed. The wife or bees must have scared her off. Not what I really wanted. Rather show her the bees and try and alay her fears.

I wish someone would have shown me bees years ago. Would have saved a lot of distress. Saying that, something buzzed me as I was in my hallway and I started getting freaked like I used to. Makes me think I was never scared of bees, just scared of them when they were in a place I didn't expect them....when they make me jump. Mmmmm, I wonder :p

My friend and i are going to put beehives in her garden, the otherside of the fence is the allotment. She has high fences so nobody will see in. They'll all marvel at what wonderful gardeners they are and never know the truth of our little helpers.

Latest posts

Back