Donating to food bank.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaytee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I've had a really good harvest this year and have lots of honey from cappings that have been through a heated uncapping tray. I usually use it myself but have too much this year so wondered about giving several jars to a food bank. Does anyone know about the labelling rules for this please. If I use my normal labels there'll be no distinction from what's sold in the village shop or from my door.

P.S. I know that legally it should be marked as bakers or heated honey if sold but is that the same if donated?

It’s food it’ll have to meet the normal requirements in all respects. If your suggesting it’s been over heated then it’s bakers honey and can be sold as such.

It’s food it’ll have to meet the normal requirements in all respects. If your suggesting it’s been over heated then it’s bakers honey and can be sold as such.
I don't think it's been overheated as it's in contact with the heat for such a short time and hasn't lost it's fresh honey taste but I wondered if the same rules applied to honey that you're giving away as to honey that's sold. I never sell heated honey from the uncapping tray. It's all food safe and prepared in a hygienic kitchen in the same way as my honey from the extractor I just wondered if the labelling laws still applied to donated honey to a food bank. I can't find anything about donated honey specifically and when I ask at the food bank they didn't know there were such things as honey labelling laws.

I don't think it's been overheated as it's in contact with the heat for such a short time and hasn't lost it's fresh honey taste but I wondered if the same rules applied to honey that you're giving away as to honey that's sold. I never sell heated honey from the uncapping tray. It's all food safe and prepared in a hygienic kitchen in the same way as my honey from the extractor I just wondered if the labelling laws still applied to donated honey to a food bank. I can't find anything about donated honey specifically and when I ask at the food bank they didn't know there were such things as honey labelling laws.
To be certain I would label it as though you were selling it ....and adhere to the honey labelling regulations.

My BKA donate (in bulk ) to the local hospice All honey donated labelled as if for sale

It’s still food for any food bank to be able to pass it in it will need correct labelling.

Thanks for your replies everyone, I'll put my normal label on it.
I would add a short note to the label, saying this has been supplied to -------Foodbank, just to give a pause for thought to anyone who might consider moving it on for profit. Maybe I'm too cynical? 😘

I would add a short note to the label, saying this has been supplied to -------Foodbank, just to give a pause for thought to anyone who might consider moving it on for profit. Maybe I'm too cynical? 😘
There were a couple of characters who attended the food bank I volunteered at who always took away as much as they could and who, we were told, tried to sell on to their neighbours stuff they didn't like.

Latest posts

Back