Donate to the Beekeeping Forum !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
If you have found value in this website and/or community OR post an advertisement in the Classifieds, please become a Supporting Member.

It is a very small donation back to the community to help keep the lights on.

it will stop us having to ask "Companies for sponsership money".

QUOTE]

I personally see nothing wrong with sponsorship and receiving money, providing the source is within keeping of the target.

But Many thanks Admin to getting your hand in your pocket. I will see how things progress and hope you can source adequate funds in the mean time.:cheers2:

I personally see nothing wrong with sponsorship and receiving money, providing the source is within keeping of the target.

If you go down the sponsorship route the forum will get blighted by adverts and pop ups, then on some of the adverts - Amazon for example they pay per click, so everytime someone clicks on the Amazon link, the forum gets money, trouble with this is there is such a thing as "click fraud" i.e people clicking to generate income, this happened on the poultrykeeper forum and Amazon withdrew sponsership and threatened legal action.

Surely if the forum is worth reading and contributing to it's worth putting your hand in your pocket?

I'm not posting anything else regarding bees, having been told 3 times now (and one particularly nastily) that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm here most days reading. My Sunday newspaper costs me £2 a week - £104 per year, I don't think to contribute say £10 a year is out of hand and why should Admin be out of pocket for what started out as an alternative and has grown beyond all inital thought.

Frisbee

I'm not posting anything else regarding bees, having been told 3 times now (and one particularly nastily) that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm here most days reading.
Frisbee

Frisbee I have sent you a PM regards any problems you may of had...

If you go down the sponsorship route the forum will get blighted by adverts and pop ups, then on some of the adverts - Amazon for example they pay per click, so everytime someone clicks on the Amazon link, the forum gets money, trouble with this is there is such a thing as "click fraud" i.e people clicking to generate income, this happened on the poultrykeeper forum and Amazon withdrew sponsership and threatened legal action.

e

Frisbee

My view on sponsership is not as you describe above!

It would be from beekeeping suppliers, and other bee keeping associated activites, that would pay to have a small web link or similar in a dedicated section.

But I am sure Admin might have other thoughts?

I agree with both of you.

Adsense is not the way to go in my opinion.

Amazon would be pay per purchase not pay per impression,although I think both type of ads clutter forums.

I am thinking that companies can have a banner for so many 1000 impressions,also we could rent space for members to sell Nucs Queens hives etc.

Admin
Please read my response in the thread Winter Losses.

Frisbee;

I'm not posting anything else regarding bees, having been told 3 times now (and one particularly nastily) that I don't know what I'm talking about,

Who has got the audacity to tell you about postings? You post and ask all you want and forget this 'dipstick' for frightening you off.

Regards;

Many many thanks to those members who have already made a donation.

Those that have donated already have a blue VIP badge below their username like this:
vip.gif
I think VIP is a good name for donators because without their donations we would have no forum next year.

Anyone who has donated also gets a few extra privilages on the forum like a larger mail box a free email account ([email protected]) etc,and are able to use a few more forum options that are not available to registered members.

Another Idea I have had is swarm collection,last summer I collected 8 swarms for myself and new beeks,every house I collected from offered me money yet I had to explain that by taking a payment my insurance would be invalid.

So this year when offered payment I am going to ask for a donation to the forum,maybe others could do the same ?

I am now very tempted to slam my fist down in Bob Geldof style and say "Send us your money" but that may be pushing it to far :laughing-smiley-004

Hi Admin

What you are doing is splitting the membership down the middle by those that have contributed and those that have not.
I am disabled and live off state handouts and can not and will not pay any monies to the forum.

So now i'm a lower member than those who pay so what.

In my opinion this iswrong.

Regards;

Bcrazy you are in no way a lower member,everyone who posts on the forum is equal,there are many ways to help the forum to survive and making a donation is one of them.

Say we get 50 members who make a donation to the forum but never post,what would happen then? the posters are just as important as the donators.

No posters= no forum
No donators= no forum

The VIP badge is a thank you from the forum,not a he/she is better than you trophy.

You have 350 posts to this forum,that makes you a special member,If you would like to make a cash donation then go ahead,if you dont it does not make you a lesser member.

I have offered bigger mail boxes etc to donators as a thank you for helping to pay server/software fees,the alternative is to have flashing adds on the site,something I and many others are willing to donate to stop happening.

If you like I can make you a speial badge that say's "GRUMPY" (only teasing you) :laughing-smiley-004

You have a valid point but I am happy to stick with the system in place if everyone else is.

Hi Admin,

You are seperating the membership by showing who has paid money into the Forum and who has not.
Bad news.

Regards;

Hi Admin

What you are doing is splitting the membership down the middle by those that have contributed and those that have not.
I am disabled and live off state handouts and can not and will not pay any monies to the forum.

So now i'm a lower member than those who pay so what.

In my opinion this iswrong.

Regards;

No no no Bcrazy, forums are free, people can donate if they want to. You provide this forum and the people on it with services and information that is priceless, just look at what you have already done for me? I am working and can donate so I have done as I get a lot out of it. As one of the experienced beekeepers, we the inexperienced need your support and advice, you offer that for nothing so that should be your donation. :cheers2:

Frisbee

Can I offer a solution here.
As i was made redundant just before xmas i wont be making a donation just yet, but will be once i start being paid again.
Bcrazy has a valid point, the last thing anyone wants to do is split the membership.
The issue really seems to be one of recognition VIP however you look at it does mean someone is more important than someone else. So to the promised solution Change the VIP to "supporter". That way to my mind Admin can give the tag to anyone who supports the forum either financially or by the quality of their posts etc etc.

David

I think David is correct, money is not every thing, but for some to offer money is the best way they can help. Other it is is their time or knowledge or other skils...we all have somthing to offer.

On another forum I am on (non bee related) many years ago they when through the same situation as on this forum now, but with the help of a few people that forum is self finacing, through VERY discreat and targeted advertising and relating to the said forum.

The main site sponser also offers forum members 10% discount on purchases.

Theyu have this for their forum supporters

support.jpg

The site might intrest some of you as well, so hope you dont mind me posting admin?

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?

I asked not to be "highlighted".

I enjoy sharing what little I know.

Whether money should be needed though is another matter as my own forum, now sadly in the doldrums is cost free.

PH

PH the trouble with free hosting is the lack of control that you have over the software and the amount of addons that you can use.

The software we are running is the best forum software in the world and it shows when things go wrong as the support is second to none.

Once post count gets above 5000 posts and 500 members most free software starts to go into meltdown.

I have known a couple of free webhosts that have packed up and not allowed backups of forums and databases !

Truth is I would not touch free hosting with a bargepole because in the long run it always ends in tears.

I do believe that you get what you pay for on the internet,free most often means being hit with adverts as the host company sees fit.

yes money can be hard to come by the way things are at the moment, so this spring when you get your first honey harvest and the first three pound you sell donate that money and with the amount off members on here it would be a few years before donations was needed again.

the way i look at it the money from the sale of your honey is money you nether had so you shouldn't miss the first three pound.
Or something along these lines.

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back