Number of Hives
40 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
I would say a national discrase!

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
The principles of Animalism, a society where the animals can be equal, free, and happy are written on the side of the barn for all to see. Napoleon and propagandist Squealer modified them to a single principle “all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.” and of course “Napoleon is always right”.

Mint Bee 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I didn’t express myself fully as Dani would have had to censored it and most likely i’d have got a ban

Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My goodness ... I've watched the Cummings rose garden fiasco and now watching Boris trying to justify the unjustifiable ..

Have they never heard the expression - When you get to the bottom of the hole, stop digging !

As a conservative (with a small c) I am just dumbfounded ! Unbelievable ...

Mint Bee 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
You would have done with the language going through my head ��

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My goodness ... I've watched the Cummings rose garden fiasco and now watching Boris trying to justify the unjustifiable ..

Have they never heard the expression - When you get to the bottom of the hole, stop digging !

As a conservative (with a small c) I am just dumbfounded ! Unbelievable ...
Cummings has probably got so much dirt on the Cabinet they likely don’t know which way to turn.

B+. 

Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Quite a few
watching his press conference, title says it all
This time yesterday, I felt extremely offended by the Prime Ministers cack-handed attempt to convince us all that Dominic Cummings wasn't such a bad chap after all. That his actions were understandable and reasonable.
Like most people, I felt angry and disappointed, but not surprised at the "one rule for us, no rules or them" way this was all being presented.
Then, I watched his statement and Q&A this afternoon in the garden of number 10. I must say that I saw none of the evidence of the wonderful strategist that Boris couldn't live without. I saw a quite awkward presentation rather than the polished style of a "high flier" (had he been schooled to present it that way?). Something didn't ring true. Was it really a witch-hunt as the government would have us believe, or. was this a "crafted" cynical manipulation?
I thought about my experience in programme management and how the role focussed less on individual management of projects and more on inter-project/overview work and dealing with the way things were communicated to business areas. His statement was certainly well crafted, dealing with issues logically and sequentially - perhaps even too well crafted. Where was the evidence of strategic thinking though? He knew the rules and disregarded them. Worse still, he didn't seek authority and approval to relocate his family 260+miles north in Durham. Don't get me wrong, as a family man myself, I completely understand the concern for a child - but, didn't he have other options? REALLY? Are we asking those in senior positions to forsake their family when they are needed? I've thought about that a lot this afternoon and, I have to confess, the answer is "Yes". That is what the role requires. It is a privileged position but, perhaps, one better suited to a single person without family commitments. I honestly can't believe I hear myself saying that. It seems so sexist and unreasonable. Then, I think again of the situation other people found themselves in: unable to bond with newborn babies, say "Goodbye" to loved ones as well as a whole host of difficult situations inbetween. It's not fair but its what the role demands...and it's why he was there.
I thought about situations we've seen on TV where servicemen in missile silos during the Cold War failed to push the button in simulated crises. What is it that makes us NOT do what is required of us in extreme situations? Is it our humanity? Is that just a bullshit excuse for people taking the privileges but doing something other than what is required when the time comes? I don't know. That's something each of us needs to decide for ourselves.
Could you leave your sick wife/husband and young child? What would you do? It's easy to say "Yes" but that's not a realistic scenario There is always the stress factor of being in a situation. "Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in their shoes" as the saying goes. The truth is, we can all criticize and say he shouldn't have driven to Durham in breach of the lockdown rules, but what would we have done? Does that even matter? The rules are the rules, right?
As you can see, I wrestle with it - but I'm a Gemini. I see both sides. That can be both a strength and a weakness (depending on the situation). Obviously, this is an unprecedented situation but I do think the rules were clear; "Stay at Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives" was the message. We all heard it repeated time after time on the News.
Another part of managing strategy is managing the risk of things going wrong. What if he broke down? What if he had an accident? His wife was sick and any members of the emergency services who attended the incident would be exposed to the virus. Then, perhaps, transmit it to others. The impact could be immense. What gave him the right to put others at risk? I think that is what makes most people so angry. It was selfish behaviour at a time when we were all asked to be unselfish. Perhaps there is something in the psyche of "high achievers" that makes them selfish - perhaps it is even necessary for them to take the risks necessary to progress. Who knows? Maybe, we're even selecting the wrong "sort" of person for these roles. That is something for others to consider. My days in programme management are over and I wouldn't Thank You to have them again.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
In the end it just shows you the contempt that he and his like have for the rest of us.
Remember the 'Herd immunity' idea that all the world's experts (WHO included) slated and called a ridiculous scheme - well, Cummings and a few other teat suckers still think it's a good idea and are happy to see us and our loved ones 'take it on the chin' for the sake of their ideal.
I would not put it past this vile lot to have carefully engineered the whole fuss to inflame and encourage the covidiots out there to now flout the isolation guidelines 'if it's good enough for Cummins it's good enough for us' and flock to the beaches and parks (I believe it's already happening) thus ensuring that the 'second wave' will happen sooner and more catastrophic than we'd ever imagine. Only today Weston Hospital announced the suspension of A&E services to deal with another influx of fresh Covid cases.
Just remember, these 'Nightingale Hospitals' were built in readiness for the second wave, not the first.

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
My thought after hearing the statement and questions was "do I want to be associated with a government that employs people with such total disregard for other people's feelings?"
No.
I'm extremely sad tonight....... my faith in people's integrity has been shattered and all the sacrifices we have made over the last 9 weeks will be for nought.
Just read on Facebook that a local beauty spot was swamped with tourists and police couldn't stop the crowds. It's insane.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I think the 'rogue' civil servant who pushed that tweet out yesterday spoke for many of us who conscientiously served the crown for the whole of their careers.

“Arrogant and offensive. Can you imagine working with these truth twisters?”

Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
One of my gripes with all political parties these days is that they seem to be mainly consisting (and certainly led) by career politicians. I think, occasionally, that self preservation takes away from the altruistic elements that we would expect of those who seek to govern us and run the country on our behalf.

When I look back to some of the great politicians of the past (from all parties) I see people who often came into politics and national government after successful careers elsewhere, be it in the forces, from industry or from social occupations such as the Unions. Coming into Government to use the skills, beliefs and knowledge they had gained to make a difference ... yes there were some with flaws but compared to what we have on all sides these days..... I'll leave it there.

Last edited:

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
One of my gripes with all political parties these days is that they seem to be mainly consisting (and certainly led) by career politicians. I think, occasionally, that self preservation takes away from the altruistic elements that we would expect of those who seek to govern us and run the country on our behalf.

When I look back to some of the great politicians of the past (from all parties) I see people who often came into politics and national government after successful careers elsewhere, be it in the forces, from industry or from social occupations such as the Unions. Coming into Government to use the skills, beliefs and knowledge they had gained to make a difference ... yes there were some with flaws but compared to what we have on all sides these days.
I remember many years ago sat in a hospital waiting room reading a very interesting essay in 'the Field' mourning the demise of the 'gentleman politician' one who had been about a bit, had a successful career and, in their retirement decide to put something back by standing for parliament.

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
8x Langstroth, a few Lang nucs,1x TBH, and about 17 mating mini nucs
I have to declare my eyesight is OK at some time this year..at 73 years old.

I will just drive to Barnard Castle and back. If I hit no-one , I know I will be OK.. Cummings said he did it so if it's good for him, it's good enough for me.

If we do have a second outbreak, what price another lockdown working after this? Nil I reckon. Unless it is mid winter.

This is the expurgated version of what I think...

B+. 

Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Quite a few
Perhaps a serving/former police officer can advise on this: I thought driving while impaired was an offence. Is this not so? Perhaps I, like so many others, have just misunderstood the rules.

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
A quick, or even lengthy note to ones MP is worthwhile here. The concept of two people so dozy they cannot remember conversations attempting to run the country is just scary, quite apart from all the other damage done...

Latest posts