Doh!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilN

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
have I ordered the wrong frames? I have one langstroth and a couple of national hives. I have just received a shallow langstroth super and what I thought were the correct frames and foundation.. the side bars don’t have a groove in them to slide the foundation in (as on the national frames I’ve assembled). How is the foundation wired in, if it doesn’t slide in the grooves and fix with gimp pins at the top and bottom? 05849492-B73C-4DCE-ACD2-639C87BDA0AF.jpeg

with Langstroths, you make a hole (one in the middle of each side bar with a shallow) and prewire the frames, you then put the foundation on the wire and either fix them in place with a crimping tool or pass a 12 volt DC current through the wire for a few seconds to heat it up to embed the wax

with Langstroths, you make a hole (one in the middle of each side bar with a shallow) and prewire the frames, you then put the foundation on the wire and either fix them in place with a crimping tool or pass a 12 volt DC current through the wire for a few seconds to heat it up to embed the wax

That's one way of doing it but there is another. There should be a wedge in the top bar that can be sliced off. If you have wired foundation, it can be nailed into the top bar just as you'd do with a National. The foundation just hangs vertically between the two thin bottom bars and requires no further support. The bees will quickly attach it to the side bars as they draw out the comb.

Thanks everyone - I wish it was as easy as the ‘grooved’ national frames..do you think that the wire loops would hold the foundation if I stapled them to the top bar, or will the wire snap with the weight of the foundation once the comb is built out and has honey stores?
Everything I’m doing at the moment seems to be the hard way!!
Thanks

..do you think that the wire loops would hold the foundation if I stapled them to the top bar,

@PhilN, as @B+ suggests, doesn't the top bar have a removable strip/fillet which can be put back in place? I've always tried to align three frame nails with the loops of wire as they are tapped in, through that fillet

@PhilN, as @B+ suggests, doesn't the top bar have a removable strip/fillet which can be put back in place? I've always tried to align three frame nails with the loops of wire as they are tapped in, through that fillet

Yes. That is correct. If you nail/staple through the wood strip into the loop of the wire, it will hold it.

Latest posts

Back