Dogs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Do any members have dogs?

We have 2,a jack russell and a German shepherd.

I will find some pics

Allways had dogs,but only two now,cocker spaniel,and yorkie. Did have six springers,used them for picking up every day. Have had lots over the years,allways gundogs.

I would like to get a dog, but working full time is it fair on the dog?

I would be able to provide it with a large kennel and run, plus free run of the garden (0.75 acres) when home and walks on weekend and evenings.

Also with my new shooting hobby like it to be my gun dog.

Dogs I would like in no order are

Lab's
Boarder coliie (sheep dog type)
German Shepard
Rotwiller

Lab is a good picking up dog, and for river work when shooting,springer is a good all round dog,and for rough shooting,they have plenty of stamina. My wife loves german shepards. What do you shoot,we shoot most things round here,37 deer since first of sept.

I have permission on my neighbouring farm.

Mainly shoot pigeons, but there are also loads of pheasants (farm next door, stocks them up on the wood!) My farm hates them so they other farm buys then feeds etc, and I shoot when they come onto my farm;)

Also a small pond, so chnace of ducks.

Also have legal limit Webeley air rifle so a few bunnies.

I am off shopping next weekend for my new gun.

We have quite a few guns,even a 577 calibre muzle loading percussion cap enfield rifle,like was used in the American civil war,they were also used as a big game rifle for rhino ect. use a 270 manlicher for deer,and 222.50 for fox's ect. What i like best of all though is stalking bunnies with my bsa airsporter air rifle,much more skill to this. Love pigion shooting with decoys over corn stubble,and field peas/beans. Done to much pheasant and partrige work on big commercial shoot,not that sporting anymore,i prefer the small rough shoots now,just a few pheasants a day,even only a couple is good.Quite happy nowadays if i don't shoot anything,just being out is good,let my sons do the shooting.

Last edited:
I could never see myself on these commercial shoots.

I have a good releationship with my farmer, and I am happy for just a few pigeons and pheasants from a combination of rough shooting and decoying, for my own consumption and maybe a few for freinds and family.

A good air rifle with scopes and mod is just (if not more) as good a tool as the shotgun

Thats why i have allways had a soft spot for my air rifles,went out with a mate several years ago in early evening,he had shotgun,i had air rifle, he got 3 bunnies i had 7, we did not walk round together obviously. Had my first one when i was eight,a 177 diana smooth bore. The commercial shoots are nothing more than a massacre,not at all sporting,it took me some years to realize this sadly. every day 5 or 8 hundred birds,somtimes up to 1200.

and the prices they charge per day or bird.

I am glad I have been able to get into shooting via rough shooting.

Also how many of these people on paid shoots with the Purdeys and Holland & Hollands can not even hit this side of a barn from 20 yeards away!

Yet my ?600 beretta (fixed choke) does me fine.

The biggest shoot round here is Holland and Holland,6000 acres and when i last went they were charging ?48 per bird plus vat.and yes most of them are carp shots. More money than sense. I could also hit more with my old AYA,think i could hit more than some with an air rifle.

I have a German Shepherd - he'd be pants as a Shooting Dog, as he doesnt like fireworks etc. He's an ex RAF Police dog and is bloody gorgeous!!

Springer spaniel/collie cross is a great dog to have,a friend of mine has one,dopey old sod of a dog.

Springer spaniel/collie cross is a great dog to have,a friend of mine has one,dopey old sod of a dog.
It is isn't it!
She has the intelligence and unrivalled loyalty of the collie, coupled with the cuteness and sopiness of the springer!:)

I have a 9 year old Samoyed bitch, she's also afraid of fireworks :).

John

No, it has almond eyes and a pink tongue, I think you are thinking of either a chow chow or a Japanese michiko or whatever they're called :).

John

we have a weimaraner called Troy - he's the one in my avatar

How did you manage to get him to stand in a hot air balloon?

Latest posts

Back