Does warming honey jars before filling reduce frosting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
In the bee marquee at the Suffolk Show this year I was surprised to see jars of set honey with frosting win first prizes. I've always assumed frosting is a blemish.
For the last few years I've warmed my jars to 50C before running in the honey and feel sure this has reduced (but not eradicated) frosting. What do others think?

Frosting is a sign of a poor soft set honey. Surprised they awarded prizes.
If you make your soft set correctly before adding to your jars you will not get frosting.

Frosting is only regarded as a minor appearance fault by judges and is certainly not a cause for immediate rejection (unlike rusty lids,fermentation,visible debris) There are more important criteria in the naturally set class. The winner presumably had more going for it overall than the other entries in the class like smooth texture, small crystals, taste, clean, surface dry not wet.

I would not expect frosting in a soft set class only in naturally granulated class (ie runny honey bottled and allowed to set naturally in the jar without any stirring).

Last edited:
In the bee marquee at the Suffolk Show this year I was surprised to see jars of set honey with frosting win first prizes. I've always assumed frosting is a blemish.
For the last few years I've warmed my jars to 50C before running in the honey and feel sure this has reduced (but not eradicated) frosting. What do others think?

Marbling is what it seems to be called... much sort after by some honey aficionados... as a sign of excellent quality soft set honey..

.... not the bashed to death creamed stuff...:puke:

I like my honey runny!

Chons da

Last edited:
Frosting is only regarded as a minor appearance fault by judges and is certainly not a cause for immediate rejection (unlike rusty lids,fermentation,visible debris) There are more important criteria in the naturally set class. The winner presumably had more going for it overall than the other entries in the class like smooth texture, small crystals, taste, clean, surface dry not wet.

I would not expect frosting in a soft set class only in naturally granulated class (ie runny honey bottled and allowed to set naturally in the jar without any stirring).

I think "soft set honey" should be redefined, so that it is not confused with the "creamed" ( bashed to death IMOHO) honey that some seem to fancy and sell as soft set????

Master Beek...I used to call proper soft set honey... seeded honey... which seem to be closer to your definition???

Going to be a long winter I fear!

Yeghes da

Last edited:

Apologies, I cannot remember whether it was a soft-set or a granulated class.
Anyway, do folks warm the jars before filling?

Yes, if it's for show. But not to reduce frosting... imho I think frosting happens after the jar has cooled down...

I didn't warm my jars and some of my honey went cloudy and some didn't -- none if it had frosting.

I have never warmed jars. Frosting occurs when honey sets in the way I don't want - so it would be heated to make it runny again.

I believe that my association uses only 1 lb jars for show. Which I don't use.
I've never got in my head the point of showing honey - it's just ... err .... a jar of honey.

Honey is for eating rather than looking at! :)

I think "soft set honey" should be redefined, so that it is not confused with the "creamed" ( bashed to death IMOHO) honey that some seem to fancy and sell as soft set????

Master Beek...I used to call proper soft set honey... seeded honey... which seem to be closer to your definition???

Going to be a long winter I fear!

Yeghes da
What's the end difference between bashed to death honey and seeded?

Have never tried either.

I have never warmed jars. Frosting occurs when honey sets in the way I don't want - so it would be heated to make it runny again.

I believe that my association uses only 1 lb jars for show. Which I don't use.
I've never got in my head the point of showing honey - it's just ... err .... a jar of honey.

Honey is for eating rather than looking at! :)

:winner1st::iagree::iagree::winner1st:

and for selling!!

Nadelik Lowen

Latest posts

Back