Does Sun affect bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jude

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hi, I am thinking of keeping bees when spring comes but I am a big time newbie. I am thinking of keeping bees in my alley which has got some light but it is just in the shade. I was wondering would that affect the bees at all?:confused:

Also its not so much an alley but the side of my house, with my house on one side and a medium sized fence of the other, any replies apprieciated

I have some hives that are in sunshine and some in shade. The sun does stimulate them to get cracking in the morn. But as long as not draughty....

Ideally you need to consider where their flight path will be .. better that they are facing (5' from) a fence or wall to encourage them up and away rather than in the path of non bee keeping pedestrians :(
South, South West facing is best, North worst.
Have you contacted your local bee assoc. I am sure someone would come and look at the site to advise you - better to plan beforehand than have to move them when they are settled.
Do read the books and go to some meetings before you take the plunge. Saves you heartache and money if you hear of others whoopsies before you plunge in and do the same:svengo:

All the very best when you DO get them - its a great hobby/way of life:smilielol5:,
Heather

Thanks for the reply I might contact the bee assoc in Cantebury.

I am thinking of keeping bees in my alley

Hi Jude
Sounds a tad painful to me.......

Heather talks a lot of sense, when i started last year i kept my first lot of bees on an out Apiary, simply to build up my confidence and experience before having some in my garden.

Mine are in a relatively sheltered spot and seem to do ok, but they do get sun first thing in the morning which gets them up and out.

Good Luck and nice to see you posting.

Hi Heather,

Your comment regarding the positioning of hives in theory is correct but..........

South, South West facing is best, North worst.

I have two double hive stands close together to form a square. Each hive faces outward, therefore they will be facing NEWS. The manipulation is done from the side of the hive which also enables me to observe the entrance. This formation stops drifting.
A lot of what we are taught is outdated, as with the event of OMF it does not matter if a hive is facing into the predominant wind direction as a lot of air movement is from underneath and up into the hive.
Flight paths? As long as we do not stand directly in front of a hive then there should be no problem. Use the adjacent hive to stand the smoker on, now becomes accessible.

Each to our own methods.

Regards;

Old saying,which refers to shade,or to much dense shade.

Bee's in a wood never do no good.

Last edited:
Hi all

With particular ref to Wintering, hives want as much sun as possible.

I have always found hives in the sun are just in general better off come Spring.

Regards Ian

I am thinking of keeping bees in my alley which has got some light but it is just in the shade. I was wondering would that affect the bees at all?

In my opinion yes it does effected the bees a bit, mine are in 85/% full sun and i use a wind brake fencing around the hives to.

Latest posts

Back