Does queen size matter?

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Hux70 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Inspected a colony today with a new queen. She is quite small compared queens I've seen before. She is only 10 days old and hasn't started laying yet. Will her size have any bearing on how good she will be?

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Inspected a colony today with a new queen. She is quite small compared queens I've seen before. She is only 10 days old and hasn't started laying yet. Will her size have any bearing on how good she will be?
I noticed yesterday that a queen got bigger once laying compared to her size after mating. Is she mated?
The is an excellent article about queen size during maturation. Bigger is generally better as the article explains. Small queens can be ok though.

Hux70 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I'm not sure if shes mated yet. The weather hasn't been great so maybe not. I'll have another look in a week or so.

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
Small Qs can get through QEs :alien:

mbc 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
The head and thorax are pretty much fixed in size after the last larval moult but the abdomen can double in size once a queen gets mated and comes into full lay

HarryO 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Small Qs can get through QEs :alien:
Tell me about it. I have got one of those. Insists on going up into the supers. (I do not want brood and half, double brood etc.) Just want National Brood box (for brood!) and Supers (for honey) I have persevered with her again this year. She does eventually go down into Brood box, and lays well. Think this could be her last year before I retire her.

Latest posts