Does faecal stains always mean dysentery/nosema?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_H

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Does faecal stains outside hive entrance automatically suggest a dysentery/nosema problem?

Could it just be that the bees are on normal cleansing flights? And since it’s winter they get rid nearer the hive?

Just wondered what others thought

Normal to get a few stains on hives at this time of year. Bees nip out for a quick cxxp and tend not to travel too far. Be worried when the front is splattered or heavily streaked with it, you may then have a problem.
S

I agree, a few splats would be normal, streaks and a lot more of it and I'd be concerned.

I may be wrong but isn't it more brown rather than yellow when they are affected?

we think we had a failed colony which had nosema and our local BKA colleagues had a look

the advice i had was that it is normal to see some and even when there is a lot, it doesnt automatically mean it is nosema...you need to confirm with microscope etc

i've got into the habit of adding a little thymol to autumn feeding

In my experience what is far more indicative is streaking on the top bars than a few spots on the outside.

PH

Latest posts

Back