Does Bioactive Honey exist?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Just browsing the web and came across a certain brand, they sell 'Bioactive Honey', what is this? what do they add? or is it......honey by another name!

? anyone know

Cheers

Jez

Here it is http://www.medibee.co.uk/

My opinion is that this kind of advertising is called "false advertising".

When we talk about medical affects, it is very sensitive area, and you cannot sell what ever under that term.

What is false advertisement?
False advertisement is untrue or misleading information given to you to get you to buy something, or to come visit their store. Those who make and sell products must honestly present their products, services and prices to you. Here are common examples of false advertising.
http://dca.lacounty.gov/tsFalseAdvertising.htm

And a little bit poetry:

Brother Adam's® Pure Botanical Honey has an exceptional taste which reflects the sunburst radiance of a summer's morning.

This outstanding honey has different levels of taste – starting frm sunburst to fruity to absolutely sublime - you'll have tasted nothing quite like this special honey!

Just like Brother Adam – the Bee Master of Legend - our traditional methods of beecraft ensure this honey comes to you as pure as the bees intended – nothing added, nothing taken away!

Last edited:
Yes, I'm sceptical too.

They say
"It is scientifically tested and is proven to inhibit E.coli and MRSA among many other bacteria"
Wow, why aren't all our hospitals using it?

I note the location is in Derbyshire - could this be the same place where 4,500 hives are "managed" and who thinks most of current bee problems are caused by amateurs?

Yes, I'm sceptical too.

They say
"It is scientifically tested and is proven to inhibit E.coli and MRSA among many other bacteria"
Wow, why aren't all our hospitals using it?

I note the location is in Derbyshire - could this be the same place where 4,500 hives are "managed" and who thinks most of current bee problems are caused by amateurs?

lol, I don’t think they are in the same place although I have been told of the location for this company. I was aware of them from a while back but it popped up again yesterday when I was speaking to an old timer and out of nowhere he started talking about these products - he was not impressed :) but got me wondering. I was told the hives are in some of the high (white) peak valleys and he questioned how its possible for them to get any volume of honey from these locations given the lack of forage let alone be ‘Bioactive’ – cant see any explanation what this phrase means?

this old timer also talked about the honey having a head on it? froth? does this make sense?

JD

Last edited:
I think this could be a babies/bathwater job -there are undoubtedly utter scoundrels spouting bilge in order to flog their overpriced honey of dubious pedigree, BUT I believe that good pure honey does have good intrinsic anti-bacterial properties (did I also hear "anti-viral?) - and have heard of it's being used in hospitals on difficult-to-heal wounds.:)

Bioactive is not listed in my Collins 21st Century English dictionary.

However, an internet search shows it in a medical dictionary as an adjective - " Of or relating to a substance that has an effect on living tissue"

I'll give them this, it's a decent website. Doesn't say how much weight in each jar though.

Link to BBKA as well!

The DerbyShire mob have English honey in Tesco's at £3.99 for 12oz at the moment....

Not a Beekeepers choice jar in sight....(!)

The DerbyShire mob have English honey in Tesco's at £3.99 for 12oz at the moment....

Not a Beekeepers choice jar in sight....(!)

by mob you mean the 4500 hives ppl?

This site has registered "Brother Adam's" as a trade mark (re'gd. in 2008)

I wonder if the monk ever envisaged that the reputation he built up would be used to enhance sales of honey for a single commercial enterprise.

BUT I believe that good pure honey does have good intrinsic anti-bacterial properties (did I also hear "anti-viral?)

HOwever, I sell good tasting honey. I do not offer healing to my "bacteria filled customer".

I have read too, that honey heals "genital herpes". Extra bonus to the customer "you get rid off you genital herpes".

Originally Posted by Brosville
BUT I believe that good pure honey does have good intrinsic anti-bacterial properties (did I also hear "anti-viral?)

Yep Brosville you have heard correctly, honey, any honey, has anti-microbial properties, with such a low water content it won't support vegetative cell growth, the bugs quoted like E.coli have a relatively poor resistance to a lowering of free water in the growth substrate, so their claim is correct - as would mine be if I wrote the same bunkam on my own honey and tried to pass it off as a unique selling point. There is also some indication of other 'actives' in honet that act as a sterilant but they have not been isolated with certainty, don't get too excited though, food techs have also found that the humble cabbage has similar inhibiting properties and that 'cabbage water' kills bugs too! As for the prebiotic claim, not sure where that came from, haven't seen any papers on that.

I beleive it is Bath hospital who are conducting the trials with honey, they are using it as a wound dressing and also finding some success as a burns treatment. Not sure what honey source though.

thanks Fin, made me smile :)

This thread is reminding me of a particular yoghurt supplier with it's added ingredient Bifidus Digistivum... I think Finman may have heard this as Bifidus Actiregularis in his country. The same subspecies has been renamed and trademarked under different names in different countries.

Scientifically it is Bifidobacterium animalis subsp..

All this is, is a species of a bacteria that occurs in most mammals, and its family are also in 'probiotic' yoghurt and many fermented milk products regardless.

Also there is certain impartialities regarding the research and scientifically there are doubts regarding the whole research and benefits.

This is the same company that have just had one of it's television adverts pulled (in the UK) for making health claims that cannot be proved that it is the product that is doing this... I 'think' protection from MRSA and Swine Flu were mentioned (?)

Marketing people are there to boost it's positive claims for companies and is not necesarily 'false advertising' but positive spinning.... there is a very fine line between facts that companys claim and b*llsh*t. In different countries this line can move in either direction due to different legislation.

Oddly enough, Mrs Gloria Havenhand who has registered the Brother Adam's trade mark is also in the process of registering MEDI Bifudus.

So, honey might even be a health food:hurray:

Oddly enough, Mrs Gloria Havenhand who has registered the Brother Adam's trade mark is also in the process of registering MEDI Bifudus.

So, honey might even be a health food:hurray:

I am suprised that Buckfast have not looked into that,as it implies that the products come from the Abbey.

Derbyshire mob ==> Littleover Apiaries...

Littleover Aparies is registered trade mark in her name too.

I am suprised that Buckfast have not looked into that,as it implies that the products come from the Abbey.

As someone who is in the middle of trade marking matters I would say they may have missed their chance, once registered it can be expensive and risky should you loose a battle.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/domestic?domesticnum=2496141

Its only a fairly recent registration so I would guess a challenge could be made by Buckfast Abbey given their usage and history….who knows.

Latest posts

Back