Does anyone have any before and after photos?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juststarting

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 hives, 1 nuc
When looking through my nuc checking on store levels I think I spotted my virgin queen, but I was surprised how small she was and that she wasnt that different from the workers. Now I didnt spend a great deal of time looking at her or checking frames but I didnt see a "better" candidate for queen.

A while later when checking the same nuc for eggs (to see if she had mated) I again spotted the queen this time she was very obviously a queen.

How much does a queen change from being mature but unmated to being a laying queen?

Does anyone have before and after pics?

If its as much as mine seemed to change its no wonder virgin queens are so hard to spot.

Depends how well they're bred and how well they're mated. The best with their full (or fullish) complement of ovarioles and well-mated have three abdominal segments beyond the end of their folded wings so hard to miss. Rearing issues limit the number of ovarioles so smaller queens whatever.

I've pulled a few lately but they scuttle off rather than posing for the camera I find. And I only do that if the VQ is a good size in the first place.

I assume you're using your nuc for hatching a good quality QC rather than rearing from a larva in there?

Thanks Susbees,

Yes my aim was to raise a good quality queen.

I set up the nuc when my main hive produced what looked like a supercedure cell - 1 cell, large larva central to frame. I removed this frame from hive and set up in 4 frame nuc as i was wanted another queen to potentially replace the older queen (3 yrs) in main hive but I was worried that If I had misread the supercedure they could have swarmed. I was prepared to AS main hive if they produced more QCs, but they didnt so looks like they were superceding.

New queen looks good and is laying well - just waiting to check that its worker brood.

I will decide whether to use in main hive later in season when I see how both develop and if main hive decides to swarm or laying reduced. At the moment the older queen is still very prolific.

i was just surprised that the only candidate I had seen for virgin queen seemed so different from the laying one. Most likely I missed identified virgin - hence question.

It is unusual to see more than one virgin in a colony unless they are literally just emerged and not yet go themselves sorted out.

Only one queen at a time is the usual condition unless superceeding.

PH

PH

I'm sure there was only one queen present but I think I might have picked out a "different" looking worker bee rather than the virgin. I didnt need to find her so didnt spend a lot of time checking the other frames - I was assessing stores and thought I had spotted her on the frame as I checked. At the time I wasn't sure and thought she was too small. Having now seen laying queen who is as large as I would expect a healthy queen, I began wondering if this was the case or if there was a significant change in the size of the queen after mating.

Latest posts

Back