Does a queenless hive eject drones?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeconcerned

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I visited a friend today planning to help inspect a possible queenless hive (a swarm hived a while ago) but rain and gusty wind postponed play. We did notice that that drones were being dragged out of this hive. This got us thinking.

Would a queenless hive or one with a virgin queen eject drones?

I would doubt it they tend to be more welcoming at this time of year.

I would say no, we bring any good queen less colonies to the mating station this time of year, where laying worker colonies, however small, can make use of their drones before the colony collapses.
Its as good way of last ditch mating if you for instants, harvest good queen and leave them requeen with a home made larvae, its still a queen in a box for next year, mated with decent drones, however you might look at it!

:iagree:

Without a queen, the only means they have of passing their genes on is through drones. They would hold onto the drones as long as possible, but, the workers are getting older all the time. Eventually, some of them may become drone layers themselves.

I have had two Queen less hives this year and both had there fair share of drones, could the hive in question be seriously low

Colonies will eject drones if stores are low, or bad weather but are usually queen rite. Queen less colonies will hold on to drones despite weather or stores

I have had two Queen less hives this year and both had there fair share of drones, could the hive in question be seriously low

Colonies will eject drones if stores are low, or bad weather but are usually queen rite. Queen less colonies will hold on to drones despite weather or stores
That is why i mentioned it C ;)

Do you think it might be the last gasp of passing on the queen's genes. Laying workers making drones to pass on the genes?
The queen is dead but the chromosomes march on ?

Do you think it might be the last gasp of passing on the queen's genes. Laying workers making drones to pass on the genes?
The queen is dead but the chromosomes march on ?

Probably what Richard Dawkins believes. :)

Just reporting back. When inspected this hive was Q+ with plenty of capped brood but no drones in sight!

Everyone try to be right. Odd.

But if I see drones on untypical time, I scheck, is everything OK.

In early spring too drone pupa on floor is a bad sign.

Just reporting back. When inspected this hive was Q+ with plenty of capped brood but no drones in sight!

Today I check a give, which had 2 queens. Laying and unmated. But there was something wrong when the Queen had layed lots of drones in worker cells.Another Queen was virgin. I killed boath

Back