Do you provide drinking water for your bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you provide drinking water for your bees?

• Yes

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Have done in the past

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Didn't know bees needed water

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't supply water for my bees because they need it - I'm well aware they'll find a source somewhere. But I do try to avoid the bees becoming a bother to my neighbours by providing a water source they'll hopefully use in preference to elsewhere.
Mossy rocks around the pond, or the compost in a pot of Erigeron that catches the sun most of the day seem to be the current favourites and are used by large numbers of bees all day long. Better that they're in my garden in big numbers than the neighbour's.

. . . . . I see no need to supply watering stations . . . . .
Different parts of the world have different climatic conditions . . . . .
If, in the UK, you have lots of natural water supplies which the bees can use, then well and good.
But, what would you do if you lived in an environment where water was periodically in short supply? In Australia, we frequently have very long dry periods - not for days, or weeks, but for months. In times such as these there are very few natural water sources for many bees. At times like these, swimming pools and ornamental bird baths become "water magnets" for the bees.
The problem is, "How can we persuade the bees to use an appropriate water supply which the beekeeper has provided?" This problem is compounded when the bees have taken a liking to an inappropriate water source.
You may have noted in another comment in this discussion thread that in some Australian jurisdictions that beekeepers are required by law to provide drinking water for their bees.
I would like to ask those forum members who have been dismissive of this problem to try to offer constructive suggestions, rather than talking about robbing frenzies, etc.

Hemo, let me ask you a question. If you were living at Sussex Inlet (in New South Wales), rather than West Sussex, what would you do? There is not much point in banging your head on a brick wall (you chose the graphic!), because I have asked a real question about a real problem, and I am seeking a real answer

What would you do if you lived in an environment which had this problem, and where there was a legal requirement for you as a beekeeper to provide drinking water for your bees?
Well Wilfrid, whatever the answer is - it's not putting a chunk of comb honey or a bowl of liquid honey out in the open air to attract every sugar seeking stinging insect in the area to a party

During the heat and dryness of the summer I will provide suitable water supplies, but they still do not use those exclusively. During wet times they rarely get a visit.

My "top-5" list of conditions I look for when considering an apiary site are:
1. Access by vehicle
2. liability to flooding
3. Protection from prevailing wind
4. nearby source of water (stream/ditches)
5. Public right-of-way nearby (security)

Good pastures

Well Wilfrid, whatever the answer is - it's not putting a chunk of comb honey or a bowl of liquid honey out in the open air to attract every sugar seeking stinging insect in the area to a party
In my earlier memo, I did not say anything about a chunk of comb, or a bowl of honey. Rather, I suggested a "small amount of honey (or honeycomb, etc)". I know that bees can sniff out honey from a distance, and I was not suggesting more than a very small amount which they could find.
My question has been, (and I ask again), about methods we might use to encourage bees to find and use a particular water supply. It would appear that you do not have an answer, and I would thank you to restrict your comments to the question at hand, rather than distorting my question.

During the heat and dryness of the summer I will provide suitable water supplies, but they still do not use those exclusively. During wet times they rarely get a visit.
Thank you Drex for a respectful response. You mention the heat and dryness of summer, and yet if in the heat and dryness of a UK summer you provide suitable water supplies, what would you do in the heat and dryness of an Australian summer?

We do have wet times too, when the bees are able to easily find all the water that they need from the plants that they visit. During those times when water is plentifully available, naturally, the bees can easily find all that they need. Bees have short life spans, and do not appear to have a mechanism for passing on the knowledge of where to find water in times of drought. It would appear that they more easily find a neighbour's swimming pool, than find a damp spot of moss, or a drinking bowl supplied by the beekeeper.

I hope that there may be members of this forum who are able to make constructive suggestions on how to solve this problem.

I have always provided water close to the bees - mainly because that was the way I was taught. But it is also a great way to measure what the bees are doing. Regulating the hive temperature and thinning honey uses intensive water consumption.
Each hive I have has a container they would have difficulty in drowning in (funnel filled with rain water but I will top up in dry times). Monitoring that container will tell you if they are doing one of the two things above. Basically if there are a host of bees there they are using it more than normal.
5 days in a row of busy water collection and they could be getting through the stores.
You are also reducing the risk the bees make when doing one of the more dangerous jobs.

My question has been, (and I ask again), about methods we might use to encourage bees to find and use a particular water supply.
Well maybe then, instead of hijacking someone else's thread (codford just asked whether people left out water for their bees - not how to attract them to a specific source), you should start your own?

In my earlier memo, I did not say anything about a chunk of comb, or a bowl of honey. Rather, I suggested a "small amount of honey (or honeycomb, etc)". I know that bees can sniff out honey from a distance, and I was not suggesting more than a very small amount which they could find.
My question has been, (and I ask again), about methods we might use to encourage bees to find and use a particular water supply. It would appear that you do not have an answer, and I would thank you to restrict your comments to the question at hand, rather than distorting my question.
Are you not asking an “impossible to answer” question/conundrum – isn't it rather down to the location of the apiary - they need access to water the whole year round, lets assume they find it mainly through smell, if you want to guide them to a particular water source its got to have an “attractive to them smell” about it, then they will find it and if doesn't kill them return to it again and again.

My bees have ignored both pre-existing water sources and ones specifically set up for them near the hives. I have tried salting the water, dropping cow dung in etc etc without success. All they want to do is drink from my neighbours kids paddling pool, the damp grass over their septic tank drain field and several local bird baths. I even borrowed one of their favourite baths, with water left intact and put it near the hives, but they showed no interest in it.... Luckily my neighbours like honey!

Self contained water feature with fine spray fountain filled with stones or glass beads ,just top up as required.May be a drop of lemon grass oil to attract them to start, keep topped up do not let stones dry and encourage moss growth. works for mine.

By my observations, the easiest thing to do would be to have a chat with your local dairy farmer and ask them to save you a bucket full of cow urine (having worked in a variety of milking parlours I know how easy it would be to 'catch' some) bees semm to love it, just put a few scoops of that into your chosen 'drinking station'.

Latest posts

Back