Do you need to move Mating Nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Although I am a newbee I have seen people putting queen cells in mini poly mating nucs ( those with 3 frames ). I think I understand the principles but after you have made them up ( hopefully with nurse bees ) and kept them in a cool dark place for 24 to 48 hours then do you have to move them to another apiary so the bees will not return to their original hive.

I dont, but it's easier if you don't have to. If left in the same apiary don't feed with sugar syrup in the beginning as any bees which do go home can start a robbing frenzy. Use spare overwintered food frames or fondant. Lesson learnt. I left mine 72 hrs this year, but times/opinions vary as with all things.

Mine stay in the same apiary, made up with nurse bees (comb above a queen excluder) and then left for about twenty minutes (just in case) before moving to it's final position.

OK, my approach is a three frame nuc made up of a comb of sealed/emerging brood, comb of stores (I try for one with unsealed stores) and a spare comb. Shake the bees off the combs and place them in a spare brood box, replace the queen excluder over the colony after adding replacement frames and put the spare box on top and cover it with the crown board. Twenty minutes or so and they will be populated with nurse bees plus you know the queen is in the hive. I move them to the nuc and leave the top open for a while longer so any possible flying bees leave before their final position.

Back