Do you keep your suit immaculately clean at all times?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30c wash in a mix of non bio & soda crystals. We have ten suits between us and another six for customers and all are washed after being used, whether they look dirty or not. I use ansell chemical gloves & change between apiaries & they go in with the suits for washing.
Apparently shropshire is a high risk EFB County, can't be to careful I guess.

30c wash in a mix of non bio & soda crystals. We have ten suits between us and another six for customers and all are washed after being used, whether they look dirty or not. I use ansell chemical gloves & change between apiaries & they go in with the suits for washing.
Apparently shropshire is a high risk EFB County, can't be to careful I guess.
I hope not John with the EFB.
How much of the soda crystals do you use.?

I try to wash regularly but sometimes forget. I have some propolis on my suit which I cannot get rid of. My husband manages to keep his suit immaculate - guess who does most of the work!!

I rarely wash my suits. Freud said that folk who demand utter cleanliness and tidiness harbour a secret desire for dirt and disorder.....
So far, the answer which most meets with my approval. :)

I rarely wash my suits. Freud said that folk who demand utter cleanliness and tidiness harbour a secret desire for dirt and disorder.....
Did you know that Freud died of mouth cancer ….. assisted by his physician

Did you know that Freud died of mouth cancer ….. assisted by his physician

No, I was unaware. I see from Wiki that he was a heavy smoker.

I'm much in favour of physician-assisted taking one's own life. I tell SWMBO that I intend to put a black capsule on the mantlepiece for use when necessary, especially in the event of dementia. She reminds me that we don't have any mantlepieces, moreover I wouldn't remember where I'd put it.......

Why? 40C is more usual for such stuff.
I imagine because proteins denature more at 50°C than at 40°C so pathogens, allergens and pheromones are far less likely to survive. Using alkali in the wash achieves the same thing at lower temperatures.

No, I was unaware. I see from Wiki that he was a heavy smoker.

I'm much in favour of physician-assisted taking one's own life. I tell SWMBO that I intend to put a black capsule on the mantlepiece for use when necessary, especially in the event of dementia. She reminds me that we don't have any mantlepieces, moreover I wouldn't remember where I'd put it.......
I like the sound of that 😂😂

One London SBI has spent all summer burning EFB colonies, but I guess you're in a clean zone where it can't reach you. I prefer Karol's pragmatic approach.

I forgot; beekeeping's no laughing matter. :laughing-smiley-014
Edit: All my colonies are in one place at my home and they usually all get inspected at the same time. If a foulbrood infection spontaneously breaks out on my bee suit I'll burn it and get a better one.

Last edited:
I forgot; beekeeping's no laughing matter. :laughing-smiley-014
If a foulbrood infection spontaneously breaks out on my bee suit I'll burn it and get a better one.
And if it spontaneously breaks out in one of your hives from an infected colony up the road, don't worry. You can burn the apiary and get a better one. 🤷

Latest posts

Back