Do you cover or leave uncovered feeding holes in crownboard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
i was taught to cover the feeding or porter escape holes in the crown board with a bit of ply unless using them to feed or clear with porter escapes perhaps opening them up if it is in the eighties farenheit

but on several recent visits to railway allotment sites as part of my job, most beekeepers {cos i always ask to meet them} do not cover these holes

what do you do, have i got it wrong by covering them:nopity:

Last edited:
I've tried both this year.

Doesn't seem to make any difference.

I cover mine, especially at this time when wasps are about. Its just an easy access hole if they find away under the roof.

I cover mine up, seems a waste of heat to leave it open. Also, when you lift the roof there should not be any bees there and lifting the cover gives you a more controlled idea of the mood of the colony.

Mike

I have mine blocked off with metal gauze,held down with drawing pins,
when feeding I just swing the middle piece to one side .:D
I do the same, having mesh over the holes held down with drawing pins, when I need to feed I just pop off the pins, so, no bees in the roof. Also if the roof fits there should be no access for wasps, and the air holes in the roof have mesh over as well.

MM,

You really answered your question right at the start. They are feeding holes.

Try putting a piece of wire gauze over them - the bees will propolise them in short time, likely completely as well.

The only reason they don't seem to be adversely affected is probably because they have already been up in the roof-space and propolised any ventilation there! That, of course, is not good as the heat going through the roof (on hot days) cannot so easily be dissipated and condensation may arise at times.

Regards, RAB

MM,

You really answered your question right at the start. They are feeding holes.

Try putting a piece of wire gauze over them - the bees will propolise them in short time, likely completely as well.

The only reason they don't seem to be adversely affected is probably because they have already been up in the roof-space and propolised any ventilation there! That, of course, is not good as the heat going through the roof (on hot days) cannot so easily be dissipated and condensation may arise at times.

Regards, RAB
Mesh has been on the feeding/venting holes ALL summer with no evidents of proplising, bees don't seem to bother.
Regards Steven

Cover mine up. when I had them. :)

I remove the porter escapes so they don't get glued up and leave the two holes in the crown board uncovered. Never had a problem with the bees building excess comb on the crown board in the roof space.

i was told that they help with ventilation/air flow around the hive.

european beekeepers use rotating metal discs to cover a central round feeder hole which allow 4 options - closed, open, 3 slots to allow workers only, perforated for ventilation but no access.

In Winter I partially cover them. In Summer I leave them open. If there are a lot of bees in the roofspace, i know they are crowded.

I cover mine (am on OMFs) and if i don't cover them the bees do! Have been using a couple of canadian clearer boards as extra crowns. Apart from the corner mounted clearers (gaffa'd up). They also have a QE protected central hole with a fine mesh closure that goes across when not required - the bees have propolised all the mesh holes, they know best!

Mesh has been on the feeding/venting holes ALL summer with no evidents of proplising, bees don't seem to bother.
Regards Steven

Snap, however my bees still dont seem to be propolising anything. On OMF. Roof vents meshed but clean also.

Latest posts

Back