Do wasps EVER give up??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Just watched my girls evict a wasp from the hive - and then spotted another three on the ground near the hive...do they ever stop and if so...WHEN??:rant:

wasp colonies will be dying out now, it'll soon be season over for them !!

In that case I hate to say it ...but roll on the first frost...if we get one...which we don't often...

In that case I hate to say it ...but roll on the first frost...if we get one...which we don't often...

that happened last weekend here in Yeovil.

It was Bloomin cold morning in Honiton as well (last sunday) people that spent the night in their caravans complained that their gas has frozen and heaters stopped working :willy_nilly:

Do wasps EVER give up??.do they ever stop and if so...WHEN??:rant:

They might be persuaded to if you stand on their throat.....

Last edited:
i have Hornets snatching bees of ivy, they seems to gather pollen for a few minutes then snatch a bee in mid air and cart it off

Wasps annoy the hell out of me, I am so glad no hornets have been bothering my bees this year.

Yep we had a cold day last Sunday - but actual frost is quite unusual for us I'm afraid.

It takes more than a bit of frost to kill the male wasps and hornets, in fact I doubt that they have even started to fertilise the new queens yet, and why should they give up? It's what they do to survive and continue their genes. It's called things like "Nature" and "Wildlife" and "Bio-diversity".

Chris

It takes more than a bit of frost to kill the male wasps and hornets, in fact I doubt that they have even started to fertilise the new queens yet, and why should they give up? It's what they do to survive and continue their genes. It's called things like "Nature" and "Wildlife" and "Bio-diversity".

The ones that bother bee colonies and go after sugary things are female workers.

Equally it will take more than a bit of frost to kill the workers. We have frost here from the beginning of September but there will be strong wasp and Hornet activity well into November, possibly December.

Chris

I have hornets tryig to catch bees as they come home. Haven't seen any caught yet, but a guard bee flew out at it and they went down in the grass. There are often dead hornets outside the hive. I don't know if I am losing any bees. Hornets also rumaging around on hive debris under the hive. Haven't seen any wasps lately, well not since I removed the floors after removing apiguard...loads of wasps were hanging out on the floors.

Equally it will take more than a bit of frost to kill the workers.

Perhaps a bit of heat from a blowlamp then??????????;);)

I have a plumbers auto ignition variety. :)

It can take out a wasp at 3 feet..

There was an event held in the bee garden today, and the wasps were unbelivable. One womzaan got stung on the lip when one snuck into her beer bottle. She came to me and said she'd been stung by a bee. I had a look and asked her if she'd pulled the sting out. There was not sting. Case closed. I felt reallt protective and felt I needed to let her know it wouldn't have been a bee. She wasn't complaining, she's really supportive of me and the project, she just came to let me know as she knows I am waiting on my first sting lol.
They were everywhere though, they seem to snatch bees off the landing board and then they roll on the floor. I hate seeing the girls slowly stagger away as the wasp goes back up. I saw one wasp just walk into the hive. There were no bees at all at one point, only one or two coming in or going out, no gathering or lingering. Can't wait until the nasty little buggers die off.

Get a blow lamp Kaz. :)

I can adjust mine to a fine point and take them at close range, even ones at the entrance.:)

Oooooooo, that could be my second fave way of passing time, my first is bee watching :p I'm afraid I would be there all day if i got one lol

Latest posts

Back