Do the Bee Apps / Sites do anything clever?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyRaes

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 planned, in reality 7 + 1 nuc + 1 A/S into a commercial for a friend
I'm considering whether to register with one of the 2 beekeeping apps mentioned here, as well as Beebase, or whether to just create my own spreadsheet.

Other than automatically import the weather report, do any of the bee apps / tools do anything particularly clever other than record info as you would in a log?

Hive Tracks looks prettier in terms of look and feel and gives you an excellent overview screen however does appear to be very Americanised, whereas beetight just looks like a very plain manual record keeping app, which I'm sure does the job but doesn't really add any value.

What functionality does Beebase provide? I'd look myself but we may already be registered so I don't want to do anything until the real beek gets back!

I have to admit that I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for (which doesn't help you! :biggrinjester:) but I can't help thinking it would be fairly easy to knock up a spreadsheet which would calculate hatching times, alerts, be easy to configure for your own setup, track equipment, etc.

Any thoughts?

I just use a notebook (paper and pen) works fine.

Yes, they cause you to write the hive notes out twice, wasting time that could be spent doing something else.
I write all my hive notes on the top of the hive roof, using the same colour pen as the queen inside. Two jobs with one stone...

All Beekeepers imo should register with Beebase everyone is helped by this, as you will get a warning for example if AFB is about, every beekeeper is at the mercy of all local beekeepers in my book that means we should pull together, in other words register on BeeBase.

So you all don't see any value that beekeeping software can provide to you? I think that software is great use for data management about our beehives.

I'm on Beebase, of course; not to be registered is totally irresponsible.

However I gave up on beetight. Too much hassle.
For the Cathedral hives, I adapted the paper record used at my BKA and use that - or, rather, my volunteer keeps it. The only problem is inclement weather.

At home, I rely on a tame Kaz! She keeps me appraised of where we are. What a good memory*.

Dusty.

* I've got a terrible memory, especially for people's names.
It's so bad, my friends call me......., call me........
Nope. It's gone!

IWhat functionality does Beebase provide?

First you need to register on BeeBase anyway. If there is any disease issue anywhere near you, thats the only way you'll hear about it.
As far as using BeeBase for hive management, don't bother! Its very cumbersome and has no real reporting capability.
Hivetracks looks good but its has its limitations mainly in reporting.
It you want to keep control of your data, and you have the skills, build it yourself.

It's really not that difficult to build a bespoke & comprehensive recording and / or reporting system in either Excel or Access or both.

I'm no fan of trusting my data to an offsite system.

That could be a nice winter beekeeping project.

Wasn't there a puff piece in the latest BBKA magazine regarding someone that had built some sort of IOS app?

Must admit I've thought about doing something similar, but just easier at the moment to use pencil and diary.

I tried loads of different tools for recording my hives but ended up with a clipboard under the roof and a pen. I just don't think trying to use your smart phone at the hive is that practical. A pen and paper works a treat.

I've now written my own system which I put my monthly records in and it produces some nice graphs - for no other reason than I like playing with python.

I tried loads of different tools for recording my hives but ended up with a clipboard under the roof and a pen. I just don't think trying to use your smart phone at the hive is that practical. A pen and paper works a treat.

I've now written my own system which I put my monthly records in and it produces some nice graphs - for no other reason than I like playing with python.

Sounds interesting ?

If anyone wanted to share such technology, i know a Beek who is not so computer savvy, i know they would be most appreciative :) ie: Me !

Simple pen and paper, I like the idea of matching the ink to the queen colour.

Latest posts

Back