Do Queen excluders work for Wasps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All,

I have added a few supers with queen excluder to a brood box as the colony are expanding at a rapid rate and building up stores quiet nicely (god knows how in this weather). Anyway, I was thinking to add a top entrance through the crown board to allow workers easy access. Is this a good idea?

I did notice wasps hanging around the other day so would a queen excluder on top help defend the colony and prevent the Queen from flying out into the supers?

They are starting to build out queen cells with an egg in one so a I guess a split/swarm in imminent. Maybe best left alone for now until the split?

I have added a few supers with queen excluder to a brood box as the colony are expanding at a rapid rate and building up stores quiet nicely (god knows how in this weather). Anyway, I was thinking to add a top entrance through the crown board to allow workers easy access. Is this a good idea?

How many is a few?
No to a top entrance......though at the height of summer during a big flow when there might be congestion at the entrance some people do.

I did notice wasps hanging around the other day so would a queen excluder on top help defend the colony and prevent the Queen from flying out into the supers?

Wasps are no threat this time of year. A hornet may predate the odd few bees but wasps sweet feed in the autumn when the nest matures. Wasps can get through a queen excluder, but I don't quite understand where you were thinking of putting it as a wasp deterrent.
The queen is not flying out anywhere except if she leaves in a swarm

They are starting to build out queen cells with an egg in one so a I guess a split/swarm in imminent. Maybe best left alone for now until the split?

Queen cells?
You need to AS and straight away.

THERE ARE QUEEN CELLS IN MY HIVE WHAT DO I DO

when you say, they are starting to draw out q cells with an egg in one....do you mean q cups like acorn cups and one has an egg in it? or that they are drawing/extending these into longer cells with royal jelly inside?

I've added 2 supers on top. Was thinking to add the queen excluder over the supers and then a crown board with entrance. I will leave that for now based on advice above.

Sorry, they were queen cups and not fully drawn out. I will check again in a few days to see what progress has been made.

Thanks for manual which is very useful. I did see it posted elsewhere on the forum and saved a copy.

Back