Do professional Beekeepers exist?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use wood boxes as they fit 5 across the truck, whereas the poly only fit 4 across. That is 10 hives or up to 30 boxes less on one of our loads. All loaded mechanically.

If it were that simple we would all use wood, alas it is not and thus this is the only bit I disagree with you on. We now have 15 years of statistics, and bar one year where it was about 15%, EVERY year the poly have yielded 20 to 30% more honey than the wooden. Thats worth a lot of extra trips.

However, when harvesting, or moving hives to the heather, the load capacity of the truck is reaching by weight, not volume, so actually there is little difference.

Do professional female beekeepers exist?

There are a handful who are professional beekeepers in their own right, as in its their business. There are also a few who are full time staff members. My lead beekeeper is female, and the most naturally gifted handler of bees I have ever work beside.

Do professional Beekeepers exist?
Do people actually make money from beekeeping? or are most people hobbyists?

In France the majority of keepers are either fully professional or their bee keeping forms part of their business, relatively few hobbyists.

Chris

Two - the thread subject is introductory and not a question Shirley? :)

My guess is that the suppliers Forns Masiemores Panes etc make most of their money from hobbyists!

However I doubt if Beekeeping could be called a profession... could it?

My guess is that the suppliers Forns Masiemores Panes etc make most of their money from hobbyists!

However I doubt if Beekeeping could be called a profession... could it?

....is the tin hat on? body armour etc!:)

i did look at this having had some experance of start ups, worked through the costings again and again but i just couldnt see it making enough. Hats off to the people that do though.

as a bussiness perhaps the better options would be to buy other peoples honey and do marketing job on it or as sugested earlyer sell the equipment (but not really the point in almost doing some thing you love).

Must admit though i would love to at some point take some leave and do a bussmans hoilday / work experance on a commercial place. Think of all that experance.

"as a bussiness perhaps the better options would be to buy other peoples honey and do marketing job on it "

Many commercial beekeepers do just that, get a grant for a lot of expensive processing equipment and then process and package other peoples honey as well as their own to maximise the use of the processing facilities.

:rolleyes:Depends upon your idea of a profession... a way of making a living perhaps.. if not one of the oldest?:rolleyes:

New Opportunities ...

Professional beekeeping is a lot of hard work, but if you like to work with nature it can be very fulfilling. - I had a relative who did very well out of it.

But times are more difficult now, and all over the world professional beekeepers go out of business as their bees are suffering or dying from the new types of pesticides: neonicotinoids.

There's of course a new way of making money out of all this: you can make a nice bit on the side by becoming a blogger for the pesticide companies, denying that pesticides are responsible for the bee decline and posting this all over the internet and on other media. ;)

But times are more difficult now, and all over the world professional beekeepers go out of business as their bees are suffering or dying from the new types of pesticides: neonicotinoids.

Really? Thats a very definite statement and for once devoid of weasel words. You will be able to provide a list of these professional beekeepers 'all over the world' who have gone out of business because of neonics then? Proper cases please, not ones who have gone out of business and you SAY it was so, thus a proven case in your own head.

Serious challenge. I want names, places, and they must be 'all over the world'. If its all in your own head then stop making outrageous claims.

Even my associates in France, who originally lead the way into the battle over neonics and bee losses on sunflowers, have backed WAY off and are now conceding it may be something else (like residues from varroa treatments they themselves used). Another case of a fat cheque from Bayer no doubt? Given the number of us apparently getting fat cheques and paid by Bayer they should be long since bankrupt.

Market conditions, trade barriers,and cheap Chinese 'honey', allied to atypical weather cycles are a far bigger problem in the trade. Add to that, especially if you are trying to export into the EU, the GM ruling is having a catastrophic effect, particularly in Argentina (and to some extent Canada), where they are unable to give a 100% guarantee of zero GM pollen, and has effectively shut down large parts of their industry. No doubt you will have some angle on this that says its neonics. FWIW, even I, going up on the heather moors, cannot guarantee zero GM pollen grains, so I sympathise deeply with my colleagues overseas.

Second challenge. As you seem to think myself or those like me who try to take a balanced view are in fact paid by the neonic makers, please enlarge on your claim. I want your answer and want it promptly. I dare say Gavin would like to hear too as he has been one of your targets, and a more decent and straight man it would be hard to meet.

beekeepers going bankrupt due to pesticides

The impact of dwindling honeybees

by Jessie Lucier

For more than a decade, beekeepers around the country have experienced devastating honeybee losses, with some reporting losses as high as 80 percent. Not many industries can survive that magnitude of loss and still be in business to talk about it.

Although beekeepers often describe their profession as a labor of love, many beekeepers around the country are being driven out of business, creating a shortage of the labor and bees needed to work the almost 100 commonly consumed crops that honeybees pollinate every year.

“This could be my last year keeping bees,” says Tom Theobald, owner of Niwot Honey Farm, who has been keeping bees for 37 years. “You can’t continue to lose half or more of your base and maintain a business — no matter how hard you work.”

The losses that beekeepers are experiencing has been dubbed Colony Collapse Disorder, or CCD. Although beekeepers have historically lost large numbers of bees to pests and environmental factors like mites, pathogens, immune deficiencies and weather, the cause of CCD is claimed to be a mystery. The disappearing bees are not only plaguing beekeepers, but also scientists and the agricultural industry that relies on these small pollinators to produce crops like almonds, apples and berries.

For years, many scientists claimed that CCD was being caused by a “perfect storm” of stressors, which weaken the hives, eventually breaking them down enough to be susceptible to variety of pathogens.
However, new studies suggest that neonicotinoid pesticides are causing honeybee decline and death, supporting what many beekeepers have been claiming since CCD’s onset.

And, for some of these beekeepers, CCD is not mysterious.
“There is no disorder and there is no mystery,” Theobald says. “Colony collapse is not a disorder, it is a symptom, and the root cause is pesticides.”

Earlier this year, three studies were released that suggest that neonicotinoid pesticides are damaging to a bee’s growth, fertility, ability to forage and general health.

The first study, published in the online journal Science, showed that bees fed imidacloprid (IMD), a commonly used neonicotinoid pesticide, suffered reduced growth rates and produced fewer queens.

The second study, also published in Science, demonstrated that bees, equipped with radio-frequency tags and fed thiamethoxan, were significantly less likely to return to their hives after being let out to forage compared to bees that were not given the neonicotinoid chemical.

A third study published in the Bulletin of Insectology focused on seemingly healthy colonies that were fed IMD. Within six months, 15 out of 16 of the exposed hives were dead.

“These studies confirm what we’ve been saying all along,” says Theobald. “The effects of these chemicals are pervasive.”
These chemicals are being applied to our farmland and our urban environments. Theobald suggests reading labels and not applying any chemical fertilizer to lawns or gardens. He also suggests writing representatives, telling them to work with Congress and the Environmental Protection Agency to get neonicotinoid pesticides banned.
“We can do everything possible to create healthy colonies for these bees,” Theobald says. “But if we send them out into an environment that’s hostile to their existence, we’re all going to lose.”
http://boulderganic.com/honeybees-and-pesticides/

hardly 'all over the world' is it? no references to any bee keepers in Europe losing colonies due to pesticides (which is your assertion in previous post)

Professional beekeepers struggling due to neonics

But large commercial beekeepers are having trouble making a living because of an environmental threat. Massive beehive die-offs known as colony collapse disorder have been linked to factory farms and pesticides, according to a recent study at Purdue University.

Rhodes says he first noticed a problem with his hives in 2005. He had an opportunity to sell hives to a California company for $150 a hive. Before shipping 6,000 hives, Rhodes' foreman told him that the bees didn't seem to be acting normally. By the time they reached California, the bees were dying.

"We couldn't figure out what it was," Rhodes said. "In 10 days, the hives were down to nothing. Bees were flying off, there were no dead bees around the hives."

Rhodes said 4,000 of the 6,000 hives could not be saved. He built the hives back up the following year, but again mysteriously lost bees. In 2008, he lost 7,200 hives; last year, it was 6,000 hives lost.

Through contacts with friends and entomologists and pest control experts, Rhodes learned about colony collapses and the effects of "neonics," or neonicotinoid insecticides. The insecticides are commonly used to coat corn and soybean seeds before planting, and bees bring corn pollen back to their hives to feed young bees, Rhodes said. He says the chemicals disorient bees so they can't find their hives, and also lower their immune system.

The sticky insecticide coatings are mixed with talc to keep the seeds flowing freely in vacuum planter systems, according to the Purdue study. But excess talc is released during planting. The scientists found levels of neonics in corn pollen that would kill bees if sufficient amounts were consumed, and also found extremely high levels of the insecticides in the excess talc.

"We know that these insecticides are highly toxic to bees; we found them in each sample of dead and dying bees," Christian Krupke, associate professor of entomology, said in a Purdue University News Service report.

"Given the rates of corn planting and talc usage, we are blowing large amounts of contaminated talc into the environment," Krupke added. "The dust is quite light and appears to be quite mobile."

Rhodes specifically blames German chemical giant Bayer for making neonics, noting that products like Bayer Advanced kill insects for 12 months.

Rhodes says there are no safe havens, no unexposed bees, because pesticides are sprayed everywhere, over citrus groves, golf courses, nurseries. The implication is that these insecticides pose a threat to the food supply, and possibly humans. Most fruit, nut and vegetable crops depend on honeybees for pollination, Krupke said.

"It's on every damn thing you eat," Rhodes said.

Rhodes said all he can do to protect his bees is to feed them high-protein pollen several times a year, otherwise, he would lose every one of them. The company's drop in production has cost him nearly $2 million annually in recent years, he said.

In Lake County, there are 16 other beekeepers like Rhodes that have more than 200 hives, said Dave Westervelt, District 7 supervisor with the state's Division of Plant Industry.

"Lake County used to be a large beekeeping county with commercial beekeeping," said Ranker, of the state beekeepers association. "But commercial beekeeping is not as prevalent as it used to be. There's still commercial beekeeping, but (some are afraid) of the threat of bees disappearing."
http://pakagri.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/beekeepers-feel-sting.html

Latest posts

Back