Do open Mesh floors attract wasps and robbers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am totally new to beekeeping.
My bees have been badly attacked by wasps this year- not helped by the fact that I was away for 3 weeks in August and had not realised that I should have reduced the entrance size (now done)
I have an open mesh floor- and noticed that when the tray was not in, the wasps (and robber bees) seemed to be more attracted to the hive. Indeed the wasps seem to try to get in between the tray and the mesh floor- so I imagine they are stinging innocent bees and waiting for them to die and be ejected...??? what do others think about this?
Needless to say, I have tried to block the gaps allowing the wasps to get to the mesh floor.

Your comment at line 1 gives it all away.

The wasps will not be stinging bees through the OMF. So, yes you are imagining it.

Blocking those gaps should be easily accomplished.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. There is lots to read re wasps (obviously a little late, but better late than never) and a host of other necessary information re keeping bees.

RAB

Hi Mamahilz. During our wasp saga we had a solid floor, and one thing I noticed was that the wasps semed to hover about under the hive, so I can't imagine it being the OMF. They seemed to hover around the legs of the stand, then come up the front or battle on the floor just outside the hive.

Back