Do my bees have Nosema? (photo)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melias

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My bees have survived the winter well and are occupying 6-7 frames with brood. This evening I had a look at the hive and notice what appears to be signs of dysentery. Until today they were just fine. Is this likely to be a passing tummy bug or something more sinister?

You have a good build up. Spring in UK is going on. Nosema does not appear this way.

When weathers are cold and bees must make their gut empty, they make short flights and squeeze the rest of poo on the hive wall.
But there has been thousands of bees flying and 20 have made bad things on the wall.
Wait for next rain.

You are looking at normal bee excrement voided by confined bees. They have had a break in the weather and popped out for a poo.

Nothing sinister.

PH

They look as if they are peering inside to see if any more mess is going to erupt.

My bees have survived the winter well and are occupying 6-7 frames with brood. This evening I had a look at the hive and notice what appears to be signs of dysentery. Until today they were just fine. Is this likely to be a passing tummy bug or something more sinister?

They drop more on my car on a daily basis !!!!!!

Sorry but I just had to watch a bee relieve itself on the back of the truck the other day. It was stood with its back end over the edge, and was standing on its front 4 legs with the back legs crossed being rubbed together. It did eventually finish its great exertions. It produced a long thin string of bee poo but after seeing it being produced, I would say it was constipated.
Do they need a bee laxative?
lol

"I'd stay away from the Murraya koenigii if I were you...";)

"I'm not living here. It's a right bloody s**t hole"

Thanks for this thread, and the photo. This is my first winter as a beekeeper and I've been worrying about exactly this symptom. The bees have been flying since the weather warmed up over the last few days, and they've made quite a mess. I feared the worse, but your comments have put my mind at rest.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back