Do most people use mouse guards or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I ran regular floors the winter entrance block had a 100mm x 8mm entrance which worked as a mouse guard

Is 8mm not a normal entrance size? I thought the reason mouse guards were needed was because mice could squeeze through them?

Every year I forget to fit a few and mice usually find one or two of those. Will be making UFE floors this spring, so that will solve the issue (I hope).
When the mice get in is it really bad news…do they destroy everything or just have a nibble here and there? I guess I mean is it just an annoyance or a real setback for the bees?

just have a nibble here and there?
You kidding!

They eat and nest anywhere they want and pee while they do it. May as well burn the combs and frames because bees dislike the smell.

While mice are in the hive the colony is disrupted, which is clearly not a good idea in winter.

Is 8mm not a normal entrance size? I thought the reason mouse guards were needed was because mice could squeeze through them?
Old-school wood hive entrances can be 20 mm and more high; modern polys are better - 9mm or so.

Bear in mind that reduction in entrance height is no guarantee that mousey will keep out, because she has the ability to flatten her head to fit the slot.

However, she cannot flatten and narrow her head at the same time, which is why a 9mm round hole (or similar) is effective.

The obstruction doesn't have to be scientifically precise: Mike Palmer's mesh slid in to the gap (shown above) is enough to dissuade the varmint.

I don't use mgs thus far haven't had a problem.
Alot of mine are 8mmx 11.5 cm16462338924934070298549340620954.jpg

No, the 8mm high entrance is a fairly recent thing, but then again, a lot of this is down to not thinking a thing through.
Many just take out the entrance block in the summer (not really neccessary to remove it) then either replace it, with 8mm high entrance in winter or just place a mouse guard over the gap. Some cuckoos even put the entrance block back in the winter but upside down!! as they reckon it's easier to keep the entrance clear - when instead the poor bees have to lift any deaduns off the floor and up to the higher entrance!!
On my solid floors I just nail the block with the wide 8mm high entrance permanently in place on the floor.
In Africa, Langstroth owners just nail the smaller one inch winter entrance permanently in place regardless of time of year.

Many just take out the entrance block in the summer (not really neccessary to remove it)

Some hives come with very small openings in the entrance block, so perhaps that's understandable. I have some entrance blocks that I don't use where the opening is probably about 8mm x 15mm.

James

My wbc entrances have sliding openers that can be reversed in winter to bee size notches, so I don’t bother with a mouse guard. My polyhives have v narrow sliding entrances, again not big enough for a mouse

Attachments

• E3E4FCC5-12D3-4321-A2D9-F412ADFE6546.jpeg
    E3E4FCC5-12D3-4321-A2D9-F412ADFE6546.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 05A8A61C-7978-4D13-B19E-74196E9335DD.jpeg
    05A8A61C-7978-4D13-B19E-74196E9335DD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • B54CD9A2-DD6E-4424-BB3C-2B9677F04EB4.jpeg
    B54CD9A2-DD6E-4424-BB3C-2B9677F04EB4.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
The mouse guards I bought my first year are still shiny clean in a cupboard somewhere!
I always had intentions to use them, but the bees were still busy when I was going to put them on that first year, so I thought I'd wait a bit and then forgot.
Haven't tried using them since - and probably won't until I get a mouse wreaking havoc one year, and never leave them off again ;)
My hives are in the back garden though, so they tend to get inspection trays checked and cleaned pretty regularly, and they get weighed quite often this time of year, so I'm probably more likely to be disturbing any poor mice trying to get warm in peace and discouraging them from moving in.

The mouse guards I bought my first year are still shiny clean in a cupboard somewhere!
I always had intentions to use them, but the bees were still busy when I was going to put them on that first year, so I thought I'd wait a bit and then forgot.
Bought some when I started and never used them. threw them away eventually. I like getting rid of junk especially recyclable stuff.

My wbc entrances have sliding openers that can be reversed in winter to bee size notches, so I don’t bother with a mouse guard. My polyhives have v narrow sliding entrances, again not big enough for a mouse
Interesting. I also have WBC sliders but without the notches. That looks like a really good idea. I might modify mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back