Do I Wait?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvercleave

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Am a newey and have been wanting bees for a long time, have built the hives and done a course and am quite keen to get them now, but was thinking about when I am away from late August for 3 / 4 weeks. What would the experts advise?
:nature-smiley-016:

ps: Based in Cornwall

Last edited:
I'm no expert - but I am sure the advice will be don't go away!

Whereabouts in Cornwall are you?

Hi Silver welcome to the forum, what is your plan to stock up with bees, are you wanting a swarm or buying from a reputable bee breeder? If you want a swarm then you could be in a bit of luck as bees are started to swarm in my area of Lincolnshire so get in touch with your local beeks to help out, by August swarming will be over hopefully.

Gillybee.

Never easy.....but get them. Find someone to keep an eye on them if possible, of course. But a month away at the end of the season is not necessarily a real problem. Can be fed after you return if needed. We have no idea of how the weather will turn out. As long as they are not likely to swarm. Got to start sometime, and no time like the present.

That is, unless you are paying two hundred quid a nuc.......

Regards, RAB

Am a newey and have been wanting bees for a long time, have built the hives and done a course and am quite keen to get them now, but was thinking about when I am away from late August for 3 / 4 weeks. What would the experts advise?
:nature-smiley-016:

ps: Based in Cornwall

First off you say you built your own hives.?

What type is it ?

I would suggest join your local association and get to know your local keepers. There is always some one who is willing to help out and you will learn a lot more attending meetings and talks.

Then nearer the time ask if some one would be willing to keep an eye on them for you.

You could still get them. If you could find someone with no strings attached could look after your hive/hives when your away and maybe you would do the same for them at a latter date.

Many local associations will offer a mentoring scheme for new beekeepers. My mentor kindly checked my bees when I was away for an extended period. I'm sure when he's mentored me enough he'll let me return the favour :biggrinjester:

D.

Depending on what bees you get and how big the colony is, then it may just be an option to have 2 empty supers with foundation in them whilst your away. Tis is in addition to any that you put on before then.

Join the local and someone will be only too happy to pop round and help whilst your on hols.

I would not worry if you have bees by then.in late august they should not ( remember bees dont read books!) be swarming.If you are concerned about swarming place a super under the QE . When you get back they should of filled it with honey and that can be their winter stores as the weather may have changed by then and be too late to feed sugar syrup.

Im sure some one may or may not agree. All the best TB

welcome to the forum.

Where in Cornwall are you?

Regards

John D

A long time ago (pre varroa) a military friend of mine was posted to Germany for three years. He let his house and left his bees at the bottom of the garden the tenants were told and given permission to "play" if they wanted to.

When he returned half the garden was pristine and the bottom half was a jungle! When he had hacked it down he found 3 perfectly happy, healthy hives.

I would not worry about leaving my bees for a couple of months, just ensure they have plenty of room and begin your Varroa treatment, if necessary, as soon as you get back. Enjoy your hols:seeya:

Latest posts

Back