Do I transfer my nuc to a National?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiveHives

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a nuc that is currently almost full of bees, with a super almost full. (Payne’s polynuc). Would you advise transferring it, or am I best overwintering in the nuc?

I have a nuc that is currently almost full of bees, with a super almost full. (Payne’s polynuc). Would you advise transferring it, or am I best overwintering in the nuc?
I’d leave it where it is. Sort of half brood and a half.

Hello FiveHives,
Is there a queen excluder in your nuc? If so you need to remove it. Tip for the future, instead of buying supers for your nucs, get the deep option and add another box for the nuc to expand into. It's a great winter set up for nucs.
And in the spring you can transfer them straight into a full brood box without worrying about them having to draw any more frames out.

That's what I do.. some are now four add~ ons deep!!! use Vaseline between the boxes or you will struggle to get them apart
Design flaw by Payens IMOHO.. could have put a finger hole in the mold without any problem?
Chons da

Back