Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

FiveHives 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I have a nuc that is currently almost full of bees, with a super almost full. (Payne’s polynuc). Would you advise transferring it, or am I best overwintering in the nuc?

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a nuc that is currently almost full of bees, with a super almost full. (Payne’s polynuc). Would you advise transferring it, or am I best overwintering in the nuc?
I’d leave it where it is. Sort of half brood and a half.

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 20, less than 100.
Hello FiveHives,
Is there a queen excluder in your nuc? If so you need to remove it. Tip for the future, instead of buying supers for your nucs, get the deep option and add another box for the nuc to expand into. It's a great winter set up for nucs.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Hello FiveHives,
Is there a queen excluder in your nuc? If so you need to remove it. Tip for the future, instead of buying supers for your nucs, get the deep option and add another box for the nuc to expand into. It's a great winter set up for nucs.
And in the spring you can transfer them straight into a full brood box without worrying about them having to draw any more frames out.

Apple 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
That's what I do.. some are now four add~ ons deep!!! use Vaseline between the boxes or you will struggle to get them apart
Design flaw by Payens IMOHO.. could have put a finger hole in the mold without any problem?
Chons da

Latest posts