Do I put feeder on super or take it off? help please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helenp

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Good morning .Newbi, bees had a tough time as just moved them with new queen from dry old cheshire to saturated cumbria.Inspected yesterday and hardly any brood, but queen present.Am fearing that they have gone onstrike in complaint!! Should I put the contact feeder on top of the supers or take supers off and put direct onto top of brood box?
Many thanks
Helen

yes-they have had one Rx a week ago but have left the supers as I won't be extracting honey this year.A late start with them so leaving the little they have for their own use.

Hi Helen - what are their stores like? Do you still need the super on? Have you treated for varroa yet?

You wouldn't normally feed with supers on unless aiming for a double brood box arrangement as the syrup would contaminate the stores in the super.

EDIT: - you've answered most of that in the previous post. If intending to winter with a brood and a half then by all means feed while the super is on

Last edited:
slight problem now.

treatments work best in the smallest hive volume possible. super just adds extra space.

i'd have removed and then replaced after treatment if the intention is to leave as B+1/2 for extra winter stores.

BTW how many supers are we talking?

slight problem now.

treatments work best in the smallest hive volume possible. super just adds extra space.

i'd have removed and then replaced after treatment if the intention is to leave as B+1/2 for extra winter stores.

BTW how many supers are we talking?

True, but the total volume of a standard national and a super little different to a 14x12 or commercial so probably not that critical if just the one super

granted BUT given the opportunity to treat in a smaller space it should be taken IMHO. remember apiguard etc. work both through vapour phase and contact/inter-apine transfer. just think - you are more likely to rub against someone in a crowded tube train/bus than a less packed one!!!

granted BUT given the opportunity to treat in a smaller space it should be taken IMHO. remember apiguard etc. work both through vapour phase and contact/inter-apine transfer.

Inter-apine ...is this official exam-speak? Just askin' :)...

just think - you are more likely to rub against someone in a crowded tube train/bus than a less packed one!!!

I'd rather not think if that's ok by you:ack2:

thanks to all.I had taken the super off for transportation to new home. treated for varoa a week ago with super off but gave them back the stores at yesterdays inspection.I will have a look and see how many bees in the super and maybe take it off them again while feeding--what do you think??

Latest posts

Back