Do I need Oxalic acid treatment for bees in December?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I started ApiVar treatment 5 weeks ago (2 strips).
This is the 6th week. I believe I should not keep it more than 6-8 weeks.
So, I am planning to remove them.

I saw in some articles people talking about Oxalic Acid treatment.
Do I need to do it? If so, does it need to be in December.
I am in Manchester (UK).
Thanks,

Your choice really. I have never done drip treating in winter. I personally think it does more harm than good! But I do now use an oxalic vapour in September and another dose in December. I never used to before I bought the kit and my bees always got through with more traditional treatments.

I always do two treatments : one in August (not oxalic) and Oxalic vapouristion 2nd week December.

My mite drops have always appeared low - I do not count as I consider it a waste of time. - and as low/ lower than most other hives I have viewed over the years. Not had a varroa issue since starting that regime in 2016.

I started ApiVar treatment 5 weeks ago (2 strips).
This is the 6th week. I believe I should not keep it more than 6-8 weeks.
So, I am planning to remove them.

I saw in some articles people talking about Oxalic Acid treatment.
Do I need to do it? If so, does it need to be in December.
I am in Manchester (UK).
Thanks,
At five weeks you are only half way into the treatment which is recommended as six to ten weeks. If you remove them now, you would certainly be advised to treat mid winter.

At five weeks you are only half way into the treatment which is recommended as six to ten weeks. If you remove them now, you would certainly be advised to treat mid winter.

Thanks, I will keep them for 10 weeks.
do I need to change the strips or can I use the same 2 strips for the entire 10 weeks.
Thanks

I have never done drip treating in winter. I personally think it does more harm than good!

Enrico says: Never done it, but he thinks that it makes more harm than good. Well....

When drippling of oxalic acid syrup was tested 20 years ago, bee researchers from 6 countries were in the project. The project lasted several years. Most of Europe uses the method. You may use it for swarm too.

The drippling was invented in Italy 1998 by prof Nanetti. But Enrico has a strong feeling, which he is eager to deliver. He does not give any value to this project researchers.

Oxalic treatment in the middle of winter is usefull, because it kills the rest of the mites before spring brood rearing. If the hive has capped brood, mites are safe under cappings.

If treatments in late summer is missing, oxalic tripling does not help alone. Late summer treatment saves the brood, which are going to become winter bees.

I hope that some day Enrico will give usefull advices about varroa treatment.

Last edited:
Enrico says: Never done it, but he thinks that it makes more harm than good. Well....

When drippling of oxalic acid syrup was tested 20 years ago, bee researchers from 6 countries were in the project. The project lasted several years. Most of Europe uses the method. You may use it for swarm too.

The drippling was invented in Italy 1998 by prof Nanetti. But Enrico has a strong feeling, which he is eager to deliver. He does not give any value to this project researchers.

Oxalic treatment in the middle of winter is usefull, because it kills the rest of the mites before spring brood rearing. If the hive has capped brood, mites are safe under cappings.

If treatments in late summer is missing, oxalic tripling does not help alone. Late summer treatment saves the brood, which are going to become winter bees.

I hope that some day Enrico will give usefull advices about varroa treatment.
It wasn't advice Finman, I clearly said it was my choice not to use trickle treatment on my hives but that the poster should make their own decision. No need for the snipe! I accept that others find it useful and that there may well be evidence to prove its worth. It is just not for me but thanks for your concern! As I stated I use a vapouriser in December. Same result!

. I personally think it does more harm than good!

You cannot explain this sentence, what ever you say. So many thousands of beerpers find the method simple and good.

Your was not a beekeeper, when before the trickling there was a method where a beekeeper sprayed 3% oxalic acid water dolution on boath sides of the frame. 20 frames in double brood hive.

Nowadays vaporising has become more and more favorit. It has been invented in Japan 1964.

Last edited:
You cannot explain this sentence, what ever you say. So many thousands of beerpers find the method simple and good.

Your was not a beekeeper, when before the trickling there was a method where a beekeeper sprayed 3% oxalic acid water dolution on boath sides of the frame. 20 frames in double brood hive.

Nowadays vaporising has become more and more favorit. It has been invented in Japan 1964.
I don't have to explain my personal feelings......to you or anyone....it is what I believe. Do you believe in God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back