Do I need a course before starting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked the comment that beekeeping can beecome compulsive! :smilielol5: :smilielol5::smilielol5::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::leaving::leaving::leaving:bee-smilliebee-smillie:calmdown::calmdown::cheers2::cheers2:

Chond da
Hopefully the op falls right into the trap and gets " bee fever" because he/ she will be wearing odd socks for life. :icon_204-2:

Thank you all, there’s some incredibly useful information and food for thought

I though I should update after your investment in offering me some advice.
I have applied to join my local club, they have a members available for those who don’t yet have bees, but one that allows access to zoom lectures/real one when they’re back on, and support and possible mentoring when thing return to normal.

Ive ordered the Haynes manual, as suggested....which should arrive tomorrow.

Im following a couple of blogs and Youtube channels.

it feels as though whilst I may not get bees this year, I will be well informed and hopefully have gained some experience which will let me make an informed decision when the time comes.

thank you all again, you have been incredibly helpful, I appreciate it

I though I should update after your investment in offering me some advice.
I have applied to join my local club, they have a members available for those who don’t yet have bees, but one that allows access to zoom lectures/real one when they’re back on, and support and possible mentoring when thing return to normal.

Ive ordered the Haynes manual, as suggested....which should arrive tomorrow.

Im following a couple of blogs and Youtube channels.

it feels as though whilst I may not get bees this year, I will be well informed and hopefully have gained some experience which will let me make an informed decision when the time comes.

thank you all again, you have been incredibly helpful, I appreciate it
Keep in touch and let us know how you get on?

Like most everyone else has said it's definitely a good idea to try to do a course if you can not just to gain knowledge, and practical hands on bees time but also to make sure it's a wise move before making the (bigger than you think it's going to be) financial commitment.

Having said that you certainly don't *need* to do a course. I haven't. I just read a few well recommended beginners books and blogs (like theapiarist), watched some decent UK YouTube videos (the ones already mentioned are great at letting you see all the practical aspects) and spent over a year lingering around this site reading as much as I could before I even got my bees.

I don't have a lot to do with my association but given some of the conversations in their WhatsApp group this winter I feel like I've had a broader and more modern bee education by doing it myself.

So basically what I'm saying is don't treat anyone's word as gospel. Always do your own research and think about if something is applicable to your own situation.

+1 on the YouTube, tend to stick to the brit stuff mind . Gwenyn Gruffydd is a good chanel .

Latest posts

Back