Do Bees see in the Dark

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeNice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 now
Everyone knows about the waggle dance, we have seen this done on the comb with interest in daylight. Up at an angle, figure of eight, how far etc, with bees watching, but, how do bees watch this in the hive when it's dark? Just one of the little things about beekeeping that doesn't get answered in the books. Come on you experts lets have some answers.
Regards and Merry Christmas to one and all.
Steven:xmas-smiley-016:

Everyone knows about the waggle dance, we have seen this done on the comb with interest in daylight. Up at an angle, figure of eight, how far etc, with bees watching, but, how do bees watch this in the hive when it's dark? Just one of the little things about beekeeping that doesn't get answered in the books. Come on you experts lets have some answers.
Regards and Merry Christmas to one and all.
Steven:xmas-smiley-016:

The bees can actually feel the vibrations through the comb with enough sensitivity to understand the dance. This can be difficult for them with comb set in a frame, which is why they sometimes nibble away round the bottom of the foundation, to make it a better sounding board.

The more I learn about bees, the more amazing I find they are.

waggle dance

"to make it a better sounding board"

if they nibble enough wax away you can actually just hear them crying "get yours acts together BBKA and Reitniks!"

Rooftops you must have read a later re-print than miine, he wasn't putting it forward as the 'Beach Boys principle of shared forage location' in the edition I read :D

to make it a better sounding board.
Thanks that explains alot, so they make a dance floor, very 'Saturday Night Fever' hope your bees are staying alive, live, live.....
regards
Steven

I believe that there is a lot of touching goes on too.

How do bees feel in the dark? Lumpy!

The Jurgen Tautz book is a very enlightening read, well worth the price. Informative but not heavy reading. A whole new insight.

Latest posts

Back