Do bees prefer to build vertically or horizontally?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston Bees

Bumblebee
Reaction score
Sorry, it's a stupid question. We all know the answer. But I quite like seeing evidence that they will go vertically, rather than horizontally, if the space allows them to. When I am tempted to try a horizontal hive, this fact puts me off (though I know bees can exist perfectly happily in such hives).

This photo is from a YouTube video from the US.

If anyone has a photo showing the opposite please share it, of course!

Horizontal or vertical.PNG

You will probably find as many photographs on t'internet of bees working horizontally (think of all those flat roof cutouts or colonies between joists under floorboards). Bees just start at the top and work down until they can't go any further. there are a few examples around of bees taking residence in hollow horizontal branches instead of the usual vertical tree trunk.
And I always wondered what I would find if I had moved the gravestone in the chapel wall whether the colony living there had a nice vertical or horizontal space to colonise - it was probably a haphazard mix of the two judging by the multiple entrances they used.
Pondering on traditional African log or bark hives, the beekeeper had the choice when suspending their hives in trees to have them either hanging vertically or horizontally so what made them decide (on the whole) to have them horizontally. Same thought as to the evidence of early top bar hives Eva Crane found out in Africa (woven body with sticks as top bars) which inspired the modern 'Kenyan' top bar hive, what made the innovative African would be beekeeper decide to weave a horizontal container not a vertical one?

You will probably find as many photographs on t'internet of bees working horizontally (think of all those flat roof cutouts or colonies between joists under floorboards). Bees just start at the top and work down until they can't go any further. there are a few examples around of bees taking residence in hollow horizontal branches instead of the usual vertical tree trunk.
And I always wondered what I would find if I had moved the gravestone in the chapel wall whether the colony living there had a nice vertical or horizontal space to colonise - it was probably a haphazard mix of the two judging by the multiple entrances they used.
Pondering on traditional African log or bark hives, the beekeeper had the choice when suspending their hives in trees to have them either hanging vertically or horizontally so what made them decide (on the whole) to have them horizontally. Same thought as to the evidence of early top bar hives Eva Crane found out in Africa (woven body with sticks as top bars) which inspired the modern 'Kenyan' top bar hive, what made the innovative African would be beekeeper decide to weave a horizontal container not a vertical one?

Good questions all.

But my interest in this photo was that (unlike the examples you mention e.g. roofs) the bees have a choice of doing either, and have chosen to go vertical, as you say.

When you give to the colony a proper space, they draw combs vertically and horizontally combs. I can not see any difference in it.

Often it is important to beekeepers, that bees draw combs fast. Bees draw combs when they need them they do not draw them for fun.

The original question is odd.

Horizontal or vertical.PNG

I think I'd rather have that than a window :)

James

Latest posts

Back