Do all the flying bees leave with a swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juststarting

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 hives, 1 nuc
or do some remain?

Just trying to decide if hive has swarmed - don't think it has but "supercedure" queen has emerged in last day or two and today although I found lots of eggs (new queen to young to have mated yet), I only saw one queen which looked more jittery than original queen and slightly hair on underside of abdomen.

Do all the flying bees leave with a swarm?
or do some remain?

not all the flying bee's leave with a swarm, and the ones that do are mostly young bee's

Thanks MrB - looks like I'll have to wait and see if there is a break in egg laying to decide whats happened and in the meantime I'll keep my eyes open for the sight of a swarm.

I only saw one queen which looked more jittery than original queen and slightly hair on underside of abdomen.

Newly emerged queens are a nice sight, and they are always going to be nervous until they have mated and are laying.

I would maybe hold off a little on your inpections and be careful when you do manipulate. Virgin queens are very flighty and can easily take to the air.

if you've had true supercedure cell(s) then you won't expect swarming to happen - as you say there are still eggs present - the bees know that HM is no good/ageing so will probably let her keep going until the newbie is mated and proven.

Supercedure cells are positioned inside and up the frame, swarm cells are towards the bottom.

Can I suggest you buy 'Bees at the Bottom of the Garden'?

How do you tell supercedure cells from swarm cells?

Number, shape and position are good pointers, but see Hivemaker's post from just yesterday?

RAB

I decided that they were supersedure cell and not swarm cells as there were only two mid frame on separate frames, drawn out from worker cells not in queen cups (wedmore), they were sealed but queen had not left she was still laying strongly but is three years old. They had made one cell earlier in the year which I put in nuc, prior to AS but they did not make any more (until now) so did not AS.

As in Original post have eggs and a queen - but not sure if this is virgin or old queen or if second queen not seen. Hence question about whether they might have swarmed.

So I wasnt sure if it was supersedure cell or not but seemed closest to description given so have treated as such - only time will telll if this was correct course of action.

Thanks. Was unaware there was a post yesterday as I don't read the forum everyday. I also don't have a lot of time on my hands to scour every thread for snippets of information I need. That's what books are for

Thanks. Was unaware there was a post yesterday as I don't read the forum everyday. I also don't have a lot of time on my hands to scour every thread for snippets of information I need. That's what books are for

Use the search at the top..it works wonders :smilielol5:

I find it quicker to post a question than to search, I had my answer insantly, no matter how annoying it is to some people. There is probably enough information by searching threads for there to be no need for any posts at all. But then it would be an encyclopedia and not a forum. It also helps for other beginners to read such posts/threads that they wouldn't have thought to search for due to not knowing about certain subjects.

IE. I had no idea there was a difference between supercedure cells and swarm cells. So naturally I wouldn't have thought to type 'difference between supercedure cells and swarm cells' into search

<I find it quicker to post a question than to search,>

Sad!

:rolleyes: No not sad - just seeking more information and taking part in the discussion.

I agree the search doesnt always help you find answers and seeing how threads develop on here it often the most obvious questions that illicit the more interesting responses.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: No not sad - just seeking more information and taking part in the discussion.

I agree the search doesnt always help you find answers and seeing how threads develop on here it often the most obvious questions that illicit the more interesting responses.

Thankyou. I actually missed the point that my post was actually part of an online discussion, exactly what forums are for.

Latest posts

Back