DNA Research into 'unique' Welsh Bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apiarist

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
too many for one apiary
Hi all

Can anyone help us find this?
I would really like to get my hands on DNA analysis of bees from here in Britain that previously I was unaware of.

Recently the below Link was provided in a different Thread on this Forum,
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/native-black-bee-flies-out-2426288
BASICALLY the newspaper article from 2004 (allegedly) paraphrases a beekeeper (in it's last sentence) by stating;
"the survey involves DNA analysis - and it is this that has shown that the Welsh bees are unique to the British Isles"

The title of the newspaper article is,
"Native black bee flies out of the shadows of extinction - The first survey of bees ever carried out in Britain has established that Wales has a unique bee"
the beekeeper claimed to be the source of this article is Robert Jones - (at time of writing) Vice Chairman of the Welsh Beekeepers Association, from Clunderwen.

I'll contact the Welsh Beekeepers Association next if no joy here, if anyone has contact details for Robert Jones please PM me, thanks.

Hi all

Can anyone help us find this?
I would really like to get my hands on DNA analysis of bees from here in Britain that previously I was unaware of.

Recently the below Link was provided in a different Thread on this Forum,
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/native-black-bee-flies-out-2426288
BASICALLY the newspaper article from 2004 (allegedly) paraphrases a beekeeper (in it's last sentence) by stating;
"the survey involves DNA analysis - and it is this that has shown that the Welsh bees are unique to the British Isles"
This sort of story seems to recur quite often, but this version from 2012 must be true because it was in the Daily Mail...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...bee-alive-church-rafters-nearly-80-years.html
In fairness to Dr Dorian Pritchard, the chap mentioned in the Daily Mail stuff and who really does seems to know a thing or three about genetics, herewith an interesting article he wrote. And we know this also must be true as it was in the BIBBA house magazine...

Attachments

• Pritchard 2009 Is-the-Dark-Bee-really-native-to-Britain-and-Ireland.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
mmm... yes.... I too would have dismissed the article in WalesOnline as somewhat ...err... inaccurate, but for the fact that it does seem to clearly reference DNA research...

The (Daily)MailOnline's best part was this gem filled sentence;
"The rare apis mellifera mellifera or British Black honeybee are the only species of bee to have survived a strain of the Spanish flu which wiped out what was thought to be every single bee in the UK"
I really do think one is just speechless after that sentence!

Calling Dunning-Kruger, Dunning-Kruger ???

mmm... yes.... I too would have dismissed the article in WalesOnline as somewhat ...err... inaccurate,
Most people in Wales tend to dismiss Walesonline, their reporting in general leaves a lot to be desired. If they stated the tide comes in and out twice a day I'd have to dig out my old college papers to check what I was taught

mmm... yes.... I too would have dismissed the article in WalesOnline as somewhat ...err... inaccurate, but for the fact that it does seem to clearly reference DNA research...

"The rare apis mellifera mellifera or British Black honeybee are the only species of bee to have survived a strain of the Spanish flu which wiped out what was thought to be every single bee in the UK"

:D I think you greatly overestimate their knowledge and competence. The words bonkers, barmy and b*ll*cks seem more appropriate to me.

That’s brilliant.

I always considered Wales to be full of humid valleys, maybe there’s a correlation😉

Forgot that I hadn't said a public THANK YOU to the Forum Members that helped me with this (including PM's), the results are potentially very positive and may yield some very interesting fruit over the next couple of years. I'll keep you all updated if there is any progress, I believe there will bee ;)

surely you are not suggesting that in Wales there are occasions when the sheep are in some way interfered with?
Unfortunately - it seems that them from over the border have an obsession with interfering with sheep - it's all they go on about when Wales is mentioned, so it must be true.

When you refer to them being left alone, surely you are not suggesting that in Wales there are occasions when the sheep are in some way interfered with?

Almost unbelievably, a few nights ago on BBC World Service, someone suggested taking the sheep to the edge of a cliff - so that you get better push-back......

Almost unbelievably, a few nights ago on BBC World Service, someone suggested taking the sheep to the edge of a cliff - so that you get better push-back......
That was probably a New 🐑Zealander🐑😉

Latest posts

Back