DN4 or DN5?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Everyone

I'm a newbee and on a learning curve at the mo. Apparently the frames my bees came on are DN5s and I have mistakenly bought DN4s to replace the old ones with. So now I have a mixture. I have been told by my mentor that I need to change this, but Thorne say it's okay to mix. Does anyone have thoughts on the best way forward please?

Thanks.

Jackie

I can't see mixing the two would cause a problem, the only difference is the width of the top bar, inside the side bars. Everything else is the same.
Ian

Thanks Ian. The only problem I can think of is that the top bars are slightly different in width and so the bees might make brace comb here, but I can't see any other probs.

Jackie

I have attended a couple of lectures where attendees were advised that the extra width of the DN5 top bar appears to reduce bridging comb. Another point of interest i came across is that the extra width may also serve to keep the Q down in the Brood Box if you are not using a Q excluder. I haven't tested this out though!!

You only need to change to one frame type if having two types of frame will bug you, the bees will not mind.

You could always run a plane across the DN5 top bar to make a DN4.

Ian

ha ha ha, thanks everyone that's been really useful. But the only planes I know about take me to faraway places! I will leave my mismatched frames as they are for now. I don't think the bees seem to mind.

Jackie.

Back