DLQ how long can hive remain queenless

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

testka

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi,

Discovered a DLQ in one of my hives on Friday 10th May. I have removed the queen. How long can this hive remain queenless before we start having issues? I have a few queen cells grafted recently which will be ready to distribute on Thursday 16th. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

I would combine.....you can always makes splits for your queens later!
E

:iagree: Combine. It's really not nessasary to have a queenless hive when you have other hives that you could combine it with.
ab

i would combine ASAP but a few days without HM should be ok, you will start seeing DLW once the last the Queens drone brood is capped and more when it has all emerged because any brood suppresses the DLW ovaries

Last edited:
i would combine ASAP but a few days without HM should be ok, you will start seeing DLW once the last the Queens drone brood is capped and more when it has all emerged because any brood suppresses the DLW ovaries
Agree, but if you want to keep the colony going and bridge a gap in workers emerging you could add a sealed brood frame or two from another hive. Then add more brood frames at intervals until the new queen is laying.

Depends on what you have available.

If there is no uncapped brood then there is a chance of laying workers so you would want to add open young brood if you want to mess about going down that route.
AB

Hi,

Discovered a DLQ in one of my hives on Friday 10th May. I have removed the queen. How long can this hive remain queenless before we start having issues? I have a few queen cells grafted recently which will be ready to distribute on Thursday 16th. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

No problem with the suggestions as such BUT a queen-less colony can survive for many, many months without "producing" drone laying worker(s). How long it can remain will depend on temperatures, initial size of colony and stores but a month would be no problem.

Chris

Thanks all,

As per the suggestions I will be combining tomorrow. Appreciate everyone's input and great advise.

Latest posts

Back